• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sea clear chiller

I have one of these giant chillers the cover is cracked and I dont know if it works. Does anyone know where I could get it looked at to see if it is in working order? (I got this from petsmart when they redid their fishroom they said it worked but they stopped selling saltwater fish so they unplugged it) thanks for any input John
here is a link to a site that has them http://www.aquariumpw.com/brands/3.asp

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Why not just plug it in, connect it with hoses into a sink and give it a whirl? You could start with hot water and see how fast it cooled it. Do you know which model it is? The cracked cover wouldn't dissuade me from using it if it still functioned. You could probably contact the manuf (or use that website) to replace the cracked parts. I don't know of a company locally that services them.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The smallest chiller on that page is a 1/4 hp. What size tank do you have? If it's not to large you may want to consider selling yours and getting something smaller (cheaper operating costs)

Bob

I would pull the cover,(with the power unplugged) you should find a model # or BTU's,or compressor size on the compressor (The big round looking Thing) While the cover is off the coils/Heat exchanger probably need a good cleaning, Vacuum or Compressed air ( this looks like a small radiator which the fan blows through). Then plug it in feel the compressor, and lines coming off it, the return should be getting hot and the pressure side cold. Its basically a small refrigerator/heat exchanger. Any refrigerator person should be able to check it out. Dave