• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sea Stars

My daughter REALLY wants a sea star. Knowing her tank is small, I know I can't suport one unless there is a way I can feed them. I know many species feed on stuff that grows on the rock.

Any thoughts?

Even if I get one for my tank (55 gallon) I feel like right now I would have to feed it as my tank is new, not mature enough to support it.

Idealy I would like a Red Sea Star, or something that has that type of shape (not serpent, etc).

Is it possible to feed sea stars I guess is the main question, or would it be a mistake (like not having enough pods for a mandarin)?

dave

They do have serpents that look fairly nice, and it'd be easy to feed. The red ones are neat, as are the tiger striped ones...I have an ugly grey one :)

Yeah,I think that is what we are going to go with. I have seen some really small ones at Aquarium Authority.

Whats the rate of growth on these guys?

Depends on how much they get to eat, I guess. Mine hasn't grown that much from when I got him. Then again, I only feed him specifically once a week. I know he manages to grab some scraps now and again, and then whatever he can scavange during the night.

I just got a blue Linkia Star. Other than the little serpents I got on my LR, this is my first proper big star. He's really cool to watch !

What did you end up getting ?

roxsburyrage said:
I have a nice red Brittle star he keeps the tank very clean.He has not bothered anything in my tank.I have had over two years now.

you do realize you're responding to a post from 4 years ago...lol.