• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sealing

I will be building my new stand soon and I was wondering what everyone has done to seal the inside of their stands. I saw one guy use linoleum. I am not sure if I want to do that or just use something else. What has everyone else done?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Merv should be here shortly... He had some crazy stuff going on to seal his stand!

C

concept3

sorry. Dinner tonight at the inlaws to be!

Here's a cut and paste from my thread on RC

Preparing to seal the bottom

stain4.jpg

sealing the bottom for a waterproof stand!

seal1.jpg

Here's how I smooth out the Silicone. Make sure there is no sawdust on the wood!

seal2.jpg

zoomed shot of silicone. make sure all the edges are watertight!

seal4.jpg

seal3.jpg

Painted the hood as well to prevent the wood from soaking up excess moisture, plus it creates a reflective coating for excess light coming out of the fixture.

seal6.jpg

stand with one coat of white latex paint after silicone dried out.

seal7.jpg

here's the thread for other wacky ideas......

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=535632&perpage=25&pagenumber=13

I wonder what happens to people that don't seal at all and leave a tank running for years? That would be BAD to see the tank come crumbling down one day due to rotting wood!

jazzsam said:
I wonder what happens to people that don't seal at all and leave a tank running for years? That would be BAD to see the tank come crumbling down one day due to rotting wood!

that would only happend to someone that is sloppy & it most likely would not be a home made stand 2X4 LOL , i made my stand 6 years ago & it has never had water underneath ( cant say the same for the front of the tank LOL) i guess many of us dont really think about wood rot just spills on the floor & how to prevent them,in the neer future i will be putting wood floors in my house u can bet i will be taking my sump out & doing what merv did just because u never know.

(knock on wood)