• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Serious Problem Today - Need Help PLEASE..

Hello All,

I am hoping that someone else has experienced this before.. My tank seems to have slimed over... The walls the rocks, but the weird thing is NONE of the corals seems to be doing it. Not a one is covered in slime.. Just the water and rocks seems to have cotton slime in the water column.. it will come up out of no place.. I have been siphoning this crap up since 2pm today and does not seem to want to stop.. What can I do? All tests have been performed. Everything is perfect parameter wise. Just did a water change yesterday. Temperature is fine, salinity is 1.026. I just don't know what to do.. I even removed my Cheato thinking maybe it was dying or releasing something into the water..

Any ideas? Anything might help.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do you have a picture of it? It sounds like dinoflagellates if it is a snot like stringy algae coming up off of the rocks. Do a search for that and let us know what it looks like. This is one VERY difficult algae to get rid of. Water changes makes it worse, from what I've read. When you siphon out, siphon through a sock and reuse the water. Reduce your lights, turn off the MH for a few days, if you can.

Let me know if that isn't what it looks like once you search for it. Good luck.

No photos.. It would be insanely hard to take a photo.. I believe it is what you describe. Thanks G for finding this article.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146017&st=20&p=1494881&#entry1494881

Sorry to take people offsite with that, but it might help anyone else out there with this problem.. It came outta no place.. the tank was pristine.. Just not sure what set it off.

I might not make a year :(

Thanks for the help Phyl.. I think you pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It isn't impossible to get rid of. BillyR fought it off too. For him, we thought it was probably the increase in his lighting that kicked it off (he had previously used the same 400w bulbs and ballasts, but had added Luminarc reflectors to the setup). He believed that was enough extra light to put the algae into growth mode.

Don't give up on it. I had a nasty outbreak in my 55 that lasted a couple of months. Once I got rid of it, it never came back.

Phyl's idea of siphoning through a filter sock is a good one. I did that as well as still doing some water changes. I increased the flow and did a couple of no light days.

Basically treat it like any other algae outbreak, but keep stick to the regimen very tightly.

You guys think that I should just leave off the MH and leave on the actinics for 10 hours like normal? How about my moon lights which are on all night? 420nm spectrum? I am going to go and get some carbon tomorrow as well and put that in there and take out my purigen and phosguard? What do you think?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd turn everything off for 2 days and blanket the tank. Total Darkness. Then turn on the actinics for about 6 hours a day after that. After changing the carbon I'd replace the purigen & phosguard with fresh, unless you know somthing I don't.

But (much to your annoyance, I'm sure...) I think this is a result of silicates and lighting.

Silicates? I have no silicates.. Lighting? New bulbs like 3 months old.. both actinic and MH. I have no phosphates either, and the more I look and read about this stuff, with the exception of the article pnoy sent me last night I don't even think it is dino any more. Dino is golden brown and mucusy with bubbles underneath it. This white stuff is something else. I think it is something / organisms in the rock spawning or irritated or something. Very Strange.. But thanks Phyl for responding and getting back to me. I do appreciate it. There is nothing like having no one to talk to when something goes wrong or hoping someone will reply. Much appreciation everyone.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well I guess the good news is that you don't think it is dinos. Those are tough. Sure would be good to see what you're dealing with. Guessing blind is tough! Let us know when you figure it all out.

FALSE ALARM! SORRY!!

It was gone the next day.. I think it was some type of spawning in my tank. Stomatellas maybe, or something.. Tank is clean and pristine again.. Thanks for caring.. I won't cry wolf again. I was just really worried.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm so glad to hear it was nothing. Cry wolf as often as necessary. We're here for ya!

I was more then a little shocked that you had any problem. Just those darn snails...freeked me out when mine did it too.