• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Siliconing the baffles

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK, all you sump experts, I need you suggestion on the actualy procedure to glue the baffles.

I figured out that it makes sense to put the baffle that is 1 " off the bottom in first (middle baffles) as I can silicone both sides without the end pieces.

But then I get to the ones on either side on the middle baffle, how I am going to apply the silicone on the sides that are only 1 inch away from the other baffles. The tube is too big to get in between the spaces.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Re: Sliconing the baffles

Draw you lines on the glass, put bead of chalk on the line, put the baffle in all on the same side of the beads of chalk maybe a 1/2 inch away from the bead. Slide the baffle evenly to the line making even contact with the chalk. At least that's how I would try it. Good luck.

I did that and touch up with a long thin stick with the silacone on the end of the stick.

When I did mine I did the middle first.

I used a sharpie on the outside of the glass (wipes off glass easily when done) to get my lines even on both sides.

I installed the middle baffel and let it completely dry. Reason? I had it on a 1" block to make sure it didn't slide down. That wouldn't been too easy to remove if I installed the other two baffels before the middle was dry.

For the baffels on either side of the middle one, I put the silicone line on the sharpie line I drew and slid each baffel towards the middle one. That leaves you with the outside edge of each baffel open to silicone. As long as there is enough to hold it in place on the inside, you can compensate on the outside where you can reach.

Hope that made sense...

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Someone else mentioned using a metal bar, and put bead on he bar, then slide it up and down the seam.

when i did my sumps all i did was put silicone one the side that the water pushes against i gooped it thick & dint have any problems.
silicone is stronger then people think u don't need to do both sides.
just the opposite side that the water is going to push against.

mfisher2112 said:
When I did mine I did the middle first.

I used a sharpie on the outside of the glass (wipes off glass easily when done) to get my lines even on both sides.

I installed the middle baffel and let it completely dry. Reason? I had it on a 1" block to make sure it didn't slide down. That wouldn't been too easy to remove if I installed the other two baffels before the middle was dry.
same way i did mine, use blocks to space them correctly and it will help a lot

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

I did pretty much the same thing as everyone else. I marked the baffle locations on the outside glass with a Sharpie. Then put the center one in first and siliconed each side. I then put a bead on the inside of the line and mushed the outside baffle into it. I used a dowel to work the bead into the seam (and apply more silicone as needed). I sealed the outsides of the outer baffles last.

One thing I did for the raised baffle was to cut a slot out of the bottom of the panel, like the picture below. I like that design because the baffle sits on the tabs and you don't have to worry about trying to hold it up while it dries.

baffle.bmp

Good luck!

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

The first one gave me problems as I could not stabilize it while trying to seal it. (I am using thick 1/4 inche glass and its pretty large - 12 x 17 3/8 x 1/4) So I regrouped and started again.

What I found really helped the 2nd time, was to put the bead on and give it 20 minutes to really tack up, that gave it a stiff edge to bite into when I pushed the glass in, then I just gobbed the hell out of the other side. Looks like crap, but I am pretty sure it will be water tight.

Only did 3, still have 3 more to do tomorrow. Then I will try a compartment water test.

JohnS_323 said:
I did pretty much the same thing as everyone else. I marked the baffle locations on the outside glass with a Sharpie. Then put the center one in first and siliconed each side. I then put a bead on the inside of the line and mushed the outside baffle into it. I used a dowel to work the bead into the seam (and apply more silicone as needed). I sealed the outsides of the outer baffles last.

One thing I did for the raised baffle was to cut a slot out of the bottom of the panel, like the picture below. I like that design because the baffle sits on the tabs and you don't have to worry about trying to hold it up while it dries.

baffle.bmp

Good luck!

I like that idea. I wish I would have seen that before I did mine!