• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer and Controller comparison chart

Interesting charts. They will provide you with a basis to select something, but where they are lacking is in the area of reviews. They don't tell you how well they actually work. This is especially true for the skimmers.

A bit of a rant here. These guys seem to pride themselves in getting a complete list of products. This is fine for the initial cut of what you don't want to get. Obviously if the product doesn't do what you want, you can't use it. However, IMHO a few reviews of actual products and used experiences would be a lot better for most people. Also, while we are on the subject, reviews like "I have one and it works great" are worthless. There is nothing to compare it to. The review must tell what the improvements, if any, there were, and why it's a better or worse product than others.

Yah Dave it is kinda of a uncalled for rant. So, now I'll rant. You seem to be the one ranting here about yourself. Some guys go out of their way, on their own time, to make some nice charts to try and HELP somebody make a selection and you whine about it. Where is your chart ?? And how are they going to do any real reviews on that many skimmer and controllers. And whats is with this "pride" crap comment. You have not put anything into this thread IMHO other than a uncalled for rant. It is not suppose to be a REVIEW chart. Why don't you go do one and fill their blanks then and then they can come here an rant on you ??

I think there are just to many skimmers to review. If I'm looking for a skimmer, I will ask questions here and other forums about skimmers that will be a good fit for my setup. Once I get a couple of models, than its time for me to do my homework and search the net about the models that were referred to me. I think one should be able to make a decision on a skimmer with the experience that others have had with theres.
Just like Ed's, my skimmer is not on the list. I can tell this list is old as it does not show any Cone skimmers that are out on the market today. I'm glad someone took the time to make this chart. It makes it a lot easier to REVIEW, not make a decision on a particular skimmer or controller.

Thanks Phil for the link.

Boomer said:
Yah Dave it is kinda of a uncalled for rant. So, now I'll rant. You seem to be the one ranting here about yourself. Some guys go out of their way, on their own time, to make some nice charts to try and HELP somebody make a selection and you whine about it. Where is your chart ?? And how are they going to do any real reviews on that many skimmer and controllers. And whats is with this "pride" crap comment. You have not put anything into this thread IMHO other than a uncalled for rant. It is not suppose to be a REVIEW chart. Why don't you go do one and fill their blanks then and then they can come here an rant on you ??

talk about "uncalled for"

You are correct Greg it was, mine was :) Old saying: What is good enough for the goose is good enough for the gander. However, mine should have been formatted in a more polite manner. Sorry Dave :D and Dave knows I thing he is a pretty good guy.

Well if you really want a rant, how about a chart that is not 4 years old. Look at the what skimmers are talked about today, and you will see that none of them are on the list. The chart is from 2007. There isn't one cone skimmer on here either.

Ken

why don't we just take over it? update it and all? just wondering.. actually wile we at it lets ADD LED's since there its so much confusion on it.
Just an idea.... i can help if we device to do so

LEDs would be a great discussion even a post about who has what in what size tank and what there growth has been. I can speak on the freshwater plant side been doing it for 12 years but I am new to salt and have invested SB Reef Lights mainly because of there output rating, adjustability and most importantly serviceability.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
good point....start your own thread in case you can't find it....folks here probably use every fixture available in the hobby....or have in the past