• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer suggestion

So I currently have a SCA- 301 skimmer that I set up a few days ago that I had laying around for about a year (girlfriend bought it used. She knows nothing about aquariums aside from what I tell her). I noticed it creates a lot of microbubbles from the exit pipe and i hate that.

I don't know much about skimmers as this would be my first time with them. What would be good for a 40B with a 20 sump that won't necessarily break the bank? I don't mind buying right the first time but I also don't wanna waste $600 on a skimmer

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I was surprised how good this skimmer works. Simplicity make good products.

It’s not expensive but it’s solid.

I would stay away from skimz skimmers

Attachments

• 724E0B63-582A-40CF-9F24-B46BFD364544.jpeg
    724E0B63-582A-40CF-9F24-B46BFD364544.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 4
So I currently have a SCA- 301 skimmer that I set up a few days ago that I had laying around for about a year (girlfriend bought it used. She knows nothing about aquariums aside from what I tell her). I noticed it creates a lot of microbubbles from the exit pipe and i hate that.

I don't know much about skimmers as this would be my first time with them. What would be good for a 40B with a 20 sump that won't necessarily break the bank? I don't mind buying right the first time but I also don't wanna waste $600 on a skimmer
Thats not a bad skimmer. A little small for your setup though. If you don't want to break the bank, the sca-302 will be perfect.

Thats not a bad skimmer. A little small for your setup though. If you don't want to break the bank, the sca-302 will be perfect.
My problem is that bubbles come out from the bottom of the tube that you adjust with and it gets into the display and from doing research apparently it's normal

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Take a pic of your sump. Most have a small area to place a sponge/filter pad and that prevents micro bubbles.

I have a hang on that did this when I cleaned it and when it was new. They tend to settle down. I also used some very porous sponges to reduce it. You might be able to adjust the skimmer height in the sump so there is more water in the skimmer with the exit more closed. Alternately, you can place the skimmer so the water has to travel the furthest distance before it is returned from the sump so that bubbles have time to leave.
As an aside, many hard reefs have breaking water over them, so micro bubbles are natural in those locations.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So just watched the video. The left of your skimmer there are 2 baffles about 2" part or less. Do you have a filter pad in there as that is what prevents micro bubbles into the return chamber/ display tank. Here is a pic of mine. The black filter pad is narrow and prevents micro bubbles.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have a SCA-302, if you're interested for $80 and a Eshopps S120 for $100.

if you're looking into a brand new skimmer, i recommend Reef Octo, Nyos or Aquamaxx line.

So just watched the video. The left of your skimmer there are 2 baffles about 2" part or less. Do you have a filter pad in there as that is what prevents micro bubbles into the return chamber/ display tank. Here is a pic of mine. The black filter pad is narrow and prevents micro bubbles.
Is it normal for there to be that much bubbling though? Its loud like a soda fizzing type of noise which Imagine will cause some pretty bad salt creep

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
In my experience that pipe should down as far it can go and then you turn without pulling to adjust flow. It may still need to break in like others said.
How long have you had it running?

In my experience that pipe should down as far it can go and then you turn without pulling to adjust flow. It may still need to break in like others said.
How long have you had it running?
3 days but it's used. Would it still need to break in if it's not new?

i wouldnt buy a new skimmer. really what is a skimmer? a trash can to collect fish poop. why would you spend top dollar on something to collect poop? its going to get dirty stinky etc. buy a used skimmer and be done with it. i have bought a couple of asm gs skimmers at dirt low prices. they work like champs. i have a reef octopus someone just gave me.

i'd make due with what you have until a good deal or steal comes along. no need to break the bank on this one. save that cash for something like lights, family or new rims for your car!