• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer - which is better

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Currently, I have a Berlin Classic skimmer and was thinking of picking this up used, kent nautilus te protein skimmer . Is there a significant difference between the two?

Thanks,
Mark

since the nautilus requires a mag 7 - you'll be pushing more water thru it and by default I would guess that would be better than the 500 gph with the berlin.

But I don't have any experience with either skimmer. The only thing though is that the TE is listed at 23" - kinda tall if you are putting it under the stand. It reads that "Total Clearance Height (to remove collection cup): 24” or 61 cm.

I had a Berlin Hang on for a couple years and it worked poor at best in comparison to my MRC1 now, even with a lot of adjustments. I haven't heard that the Nautilis requires as much work, but I have heard of anyone raving about it either.

The MRC1 does require some weekly adjustments, but it is simple and predictable. A much better product.

I have had both. The nautilus,you can adjust the waterflow by the "wand"not a bad skimmer,did ok for me,currently I have the red sea berlin,and you have to keep adjusting the airflow,IMO if I had a choice I'd get back the nautilus,gd luck in yr choice

I got a coralife and its been acting up lately but i think i got it fixed the 5/8 hose which connects the pump to the skimmer was so stretched out that the air was leaking out. Solution replaced the line