• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmers for 29 BioCube

I was just reading about the SR3 Skimmer http://www.cprusa.com/products/skimmers.html that apparently from what I see fits perfectly in the 2nd chamber and does not hinder with the canopy. Also, it would seem from this link that the collection cup is accessible from the rear hatch.

Anyone use this? Good product, bad product? Did you mod yours any if you're using it, or is there a better one out there?

Does Tunze make one that will fit the BC? I know the 9002 fits the AP24.

Just trying to figure out which skimmer I'll need to get...

thx for the viewpoints ;D

Ive got a nano remora that works pefect but has a few chip.. PM me if you interested ill take some pics.

90 bucks or will to trade

Didn't mean for this to go that way, but I'll drop you a pm. was more looking for suggestions on a brand than anything... ;)

I guess what I'm wondering is, what other skimmers on the market will fit under the canopy to where the close without any issues, but work really well? (without having to hack it up).

Found a cool thread where someone popped in a Aqua C into a BioCube.

http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8140&page=2

wow, I gotta think that skimmer rocks on that tank... Just not sure if I wanna take a hacksaw to it just yet.

I like the idea of it being all self enclosed as it was desgined to be...

I could be totally off on this - but with a semi-frequent water change schedule - you could avoid having the need for a skimmer. That stated, I thought the aquapod comes with everything built-in? Never used the tunze skimmers but read a lot of positive on them - the customer service is excellent too.

Btw - interesting forum - I didn't realize people wanted to keep cephalopods given the limited lifespan and habit of being escape artists. Are you thinking that route also or just linked it for the skimmer idea?

just linked for the skimmer idea. I thought it was a pretty neat idea.

To my knowledge, the aquapod doesn't come with a skimmer either. I looked pretty seriously into buying one till I ran across the BioCube...

New Dilemna...

Skimmer or refugium? I don't mind doing water changes on such a small tank, so I was thinking about modifying the center chamber to be a refugium. I found some info online about scraping/removing the black coating from the very back of the BC where the 2nd chamber is. Toss in some sand, live rock rubble and Cheato or Macro of your choice and put a small power compact light against the back with some velcro and VOILA... instant built in refugium.

I'm just wondering if for a couple fish and a few softies which would actually be better...

You can always drill it and put a sump w/skimmer and fuge underneath.

I drilled, and by "I"; I mean Tom(Ligershark) drilled, my 29G BioCube and I used the center chamber as the drain area and the left chamber for the return area. It shares the same sump as my 120.

l_a39ccc3bb2f6ff4aa317dca77b621fdf.jpg

l_07dfb4173438755198a98b39c6644cbc.jpg

l_255097a405dfaf258a88f750349db7b8.jpg

l_a18b2d323c2ae41dc2f1ee39a33e4190.jpg

l_433868fdbdf5c65b355108b166509f94.jpg

Again - I could be totally off - but I presume that folks that get nanos aren't looking to also setup another reservoir underneath the nano...

If I were to choose between a refugium and a skimmer - it would depend on the quality of the skimmer - and I would lean toward a skimmer. My thoughts would be that the cheato will be of limited effectiveness because it is housed in a narrow (albeit tall) chamber - so growth will not be as fast - and therefore not able to pull the nutrients out as quickly. Also a reason for cheato is to provide a safe haven for pods - but given the size of the chamber in question - I dont know if even that would be enough to replenish it if you were say going to get a mandarin. If you are going to go with say a firefish or clowns (that are not as dependent on pods) - then I would suggest the skimmer.