• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Snow Melt - Calcium supplementation

The big problem with using a product for snow melting is that you never know what your getting. Even with a brand someone else used without a problem, you could still have one if you got a different lot. Remember this product was intended to melt snow, and as such doesn't need to be especially pure.

Also, calcium chloride is not usually recommended for constant use to maintain calcium, although it's fine as a one time boost. Long term I think you'd be better off using a kalk reactor and/or a calcium reactor.

This brings it down to, how much calcium chloride are you really going to need? Since it's usually used a one time boost, the typical container sold in the LFS should be fine.

The other question to ask yourself is, am I willing to risk my entire reef, which I have spent a tone of money and time on, to save a few dollars on a calcuim supplement?

IMHO, it's not worth the risk.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Try using bulkreefsupply for High Purity Anhydrous Calcium Chloride Pellets

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Calcium,-Alkalinity-&-Magnesium-Calcium-Chloride/c1_2/p5/One-Galllon-(7-Pounds)-High-Purity-Calcium-Chloride/product_info.html

Last winter a hardware store near was carrying bags of FDA approved 100% calcium chloride. They were about $20 per bag as opposed to the stuff that Randy Holmes Farley uses. I'll stop by the store and see if their carrying it again this year.