• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Something eating Frogspawn

Hi,

I recently added a Frogspawn frag to my tank and it appears that something is eating away at it :mad: It looks like about a 1/4 of the tissue is gone and I can see the center of the coral pretty clearly. There is a whitish tint around the spot where this is occurring.

The only thing in my tank is a Sailfin tang and 5 green chromis. I am wondering if bristleworms can be the culprit??? I have seen them in my tank but they are all pretty small (less than 1/4 inch) It seems to be a little bit worse each day I look at it.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

JRANG

A picture would help in identifying the problem. Both of the coral and the worms.

What other living things are in the tank? The fish you have are generally reef safe, although reef safe fish sometimes pick on sick or injured corals.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Frogspawn will recede by itself, if the conditions are not JUST right. That includes Ca, Alk, Mg, & Trates. My LPS are the first to let me know when my magnesium is low. Sounds more like a "cranky coral" than a culprit, from what I'm hearing.

Pictures would surely help the diagnosis.

Unfortunately, my camera is on the fritz and I cannot post a picture.

I looked at it again this morning and it is pretty much gone. There is only about 25% of the frag left. It doesn't look too healthy at all :(

I only test Nitrates, PH, and salinity since this has only been a FOWLR tank. This is the first coral I put in there.

I have read that Frogspan will not open up if things aren't to their liking but will they deteriorate that quickly if any readings are off?

At this point is there anything I should do besides just leave it alone?

Blange3- I have a couple of snails and a red scarlet hermit crab in there but nothing else.

JRANG said:
I only test Nitrates, PH, and salinity since this has only been a FOWLR tank. This is the first coral I put in there.

And they are what ?

Bristleworms (specially small) will not attack a healthy frogspawn. They could, however, go after the already dying and decaying tissue. Those fish will also not attack healthy coral. So, either your environment is not good for it or it got injured in the move (which is very easy with this coral) and got infected (indicated that it started deteriorating in one spot).

You have to be very careful when handling the euphylia species. Try not to touch the area around the tentacles as it is very easily damaged. Alaways try to hold them as far down on the base as possible. If it feels slimy then you are touching the flesh.