• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SPS loosing color

Don't know if any of you saw my post on RC, but here it is:

My pocillipora and cactus coral are loosing their color. The polyps on both these corals are extended but they are mostly white. They have both been under this lighting for several months. Any ideas?

Alk: 9 dKH
Ca: 415
Mg: 1350
S.G. 1.024
Amm: 0
Trite: 0
Trate: <10

All the replies pointed to my MH bulbs. I run two 250W XM 20ks. On person said the XM's are great bulbs, another said XM's are the weakest blue bulbs on the market. Could this lose of color really be the bulbs? I got them at the last PA Group Buy, whenever that was. Anyone have any thoughts on the color lose or the bulbs?

Thanks

mike i had Xm 20k on my frag tank when everything was top notch the bulb lasted 7 months & then it burnt up, this has been the only bulb that has done that to me but i can say that for the 7 months i had it the colors where great, XM do loose spectrum faster then any other bulb, are u running carbon? there might be something in ur water since ur set up is in the garage u just never know, i have been switching out my carbon every 2 weeks & the tank is slowly looking better.

Steve:

Yes, I run carbon. I probably should change it more often. Is there a better, longer lasting 20k bulb out there?