• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SPS Mishap

One of my SPS was knocked onto a second SPS, presumably by one of my snails.

The chemical warefare ensued, and one of the SPS had done some significant damage before I intervened.

I now have an SPS half of which looks whitish, and appears to have recedded polyps. The other half, appears ok.

Do I leave it alone and hope the damaged half recovers, or do I need to cut that part off?

I had a similar issue happen to me. I put an acropora frag in a temporary spot in my tank to acclimate to the lighting. The temporary spot was just above my lobo. I think a turbo snail knocked it into the lobo during the night. What you described is exactly what happened...half the acro was alive, the other half turned white (the portion touching the lobo). This happened about a month ago and I never did anything. I kept the frag whole. The frag is doing fine and growing now, but the white part hasn't changed. Not sure what the right answer here is, but I'm interested in it as well.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We had this happen to us with an acro falling onto a sunset monti. The acro won the battle and left a big white spot on the monti with no polyps extenstion in that area. We just left it alone and made sure the water quality was very good. After a week or so it started to color up and the polyps came back. These things happen, just monitor it and you should be fine.

Glad to see this thread, my electric blue hermit knocked an acro onto what I think are green star polyps (they've never opened), the purple part of the GSP was had a big white spot on it from the acro, acro looked fine though, hopefully it changes back to purple again (& one day opens up).

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Buffalowing, try upping your magnesium (test it first, but I'm nearly positive you'll find it low).

I don't have a magnesium test kit, i'll have to get one. Either way the GSP didn't make it, the white from the Acro hitting it kept spreading and since the GSP has never opened ever I ditched it.