• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stand for 75gal DT with 40B Sump Idea

Looking for Ideas to build a stand for a 75gal DT with a 40B sump, so far this is the only one I've seen....don't mind the plumbing 'cause my tank in pre-drilled at the bottom, been that both tanks have the same deep dimension (18 1/2") I'll have to add couple inches extras to the bottom part of the stand to be able to feet the 40B sump....any other way I can do this?

75g stand.jpg

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would suggest making the whole stand so that the 40b sump can fit inside the bottom. Then, for the top of the stand, make that a single sheet of plywood to make like a table top. If you center the tank on the plywood top, the weight will get distributed to the edges, which will be supported by the frame. It probably wouldn't hurt to add another inner frame of 2x4's at the top too.

This will give you a narrow shelf around the entire tank. If you wanted, you could make it oversized so that you have a decent "usable" sized shelf all the way around.

Or, you might be able to just set the tank at the back edge instead of in the center. That would give you more of a shelf at the front and none at the back (which you probably won't need/want anyway). The only thing to worry about with this is making sure you don't have any of the 2x4 frame obstructing where your bottom bulkheads will be coming through.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I know its hard to see but I always over build the width of my stands by atleast 2" and have done as much as 18" to create space in front and or the back of the tank.

The only problem is I'm thinking about putting molding around the top part of the stand to hide the tank frame.

The only problem is I'm thinking about putting molding around the top part of the stand to hide the tank frame.

Juan check out my tank thread. I built a stand for my 90(same footprint as 75). I houses a 40 sump and has molding around the top to hide the frame. I may have put the measurements in the thread.

If I remember correctly I built the stand 1" bigger in both dimensions. It allows the tank to sit in the center of the 2x4 and allows for a slight gap between the top molding and tank frame.

If I remember correctly I built the stand 1" bigger in both dimensions. It allows the tank to sit in the center of the 2x4 and allows for a slight gap between the top molding and tank frame.

That's what I was thinking, I think 1" will make it....I'll check your thread.

John can you pls double check your stand when you have a chance?...I don't think 1" bigger is going to be enough 'cause both tank have 18 1/2" deep so if the DT is sitting in the center of the 2x4 there's no way the 40B is going to fit inside the stand....it has to be at least 3" bigger to compensate the 2x4 space and then put another 2x4 on the top part of the stand to help support the DT.