• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Staple in tank!

Accidentally got a staple inside my tank. Obviously can't find it as it's in the back of the system somewhere.

39G tank.

Should this have a deleterious effect on the tank or should good water changes over the next few months be fine for it?

I cant say what affect it will have on your system but any metals are bad.
Can you get one of those mechanic magnets. The little ones on the telescoping rod(like an antenna) and probe around the area . I believe they are magnetic and should be the only thing to stick to it. Just make sure it is clean,new ones usually pack in a lite grease/silicon covering . A quick soap/viniger bath followed by a fresh water wash should clean all the baddies off it.

qwik said:
I cant say what affect it will have on your system but any metals are bad.
Can you get one of those mechanic magnets. The little ones on the telescoping rod(like an antenna) and probe around the area . I believe they are magnetic and should be the only thing to stick to it. Just make sure it is clean,new ones usually pack in a lite grease/silicon covering . A quick soap/viniger bath followed by a fresh water wash should clean all the baddies off it.

Tried that and couldn't find it. Bummer.

Hopefully it's a small enough amount to not hurt anything as long as I change water frequently for a while.

I personally don't think it's gonna harm anything. If it were my tank I wouldn't start ripping my hair out over it. You tried and find it, right? You don't want to rip up your well-established tank over 1/8" staple, right? Sorry if I'm sounding naive,....but that's what I would do (or lack thereof). :-[

JerseyWendy said:
I personally don't think it's gonna harm anything. If it were my tank I wouldn't start ripping my hair out over it. You tried and find it, right? You don't want to rip up your well-established tank over 1/8" staple, right? Sorry if I'm sounding naive,....but that's what I would do (or lack thereof). :-[

I think I agree. I haven't bothered looking for it besides with the magnet.

Frankly, I think a staple is just steel, right? Steel is iron. Iron is in the tank, anyway. I don't think it's going to really do much of anything. I will likely do some larger water changes, though, over the next few months.

I'm always hesitant to offer advice since I'm so new to the hobby...but, I personally wouldn't drive myself nuts over one little staple....I think it will degrade on its own....just check your parameters and do your waterchanges as necessary....

I mean...I look at it this way....look at how much crap falls into the ocean...now, granted you got a tiny slice.....but, still....can't imagine a staple causing severe problems.....would also wonder if some of yer critters may find it and drag it to the front....shrugs....I wouldn't rip the tank apart over it

Hawkeye said:
i've got iron in my sand....was told by dr. ron it wasn't a problem.

Want to know something fun?

My sand was sticking to the magnet on the probe.

Sticking like crazy.

A lot of it.

I was kind of shocked. I must certainly have something magnetic in my sand.