• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sump question

Can i use any Rubbermaid container or like a storage tote as a temporary sump? I was going to use a canister filter but then as I was driving this morning thought why don't I just use a tote. Since it's only for a short time. I figured the tote I could still be able to use my reactor, Cheato, skimmer, filter sock etc.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I originally used a Rubbermaid container for mixing saltwater. As Paul said, don't fill too high because the sides will bulge out. If it's just temporary, you'll be fine. What caused me to go to a Brute for making saltwater was when one of these Rubbermaid tubs that I had for maybe five years or so got brittle and cracked. Note it was used outdoors and exposed to sunlight and all the weather.

IMG_0929.jpg

falconut

NJRC Member
You should be fine. I've been using a 15 gallon tote for my RO/DI storage container for over 10 years and it's even got a bulkhead in the bottom side. I personally would just use it as a temporary sump like you said. I make my permanent sumps from regular aquariums.

I used two for temporary tanks when I went from my 24g to my 120g had all the live rock I bought in them along with some corals that I ran across just before my tank got set up. Worked fine just don't overfill.