• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sump redesign questions

Hi guys,

I decided to redesign my wet/dry sump retrofit to reflect more of a real sump and I had some questions on flow and orientation of the pumps output on my 47G high tank.

The original sump was a amiracle 2 section sump that was probably about the size of a 10gal tank and acrylic. Rough dimensions are 22x16x10. It was cut into two chambers that was split in two and the split was open at the bottom and I added a few peoples of 1/4 acrylic to make some new chambers. Pictures below.

SumpRedesign-vi.jpg

SumpRedesign2-vi.jpg

Sorry.. I know they are not great, but it's the best I can put together in a few minutes without learning that google tool.

Right now, I have 2 Koralia 2's and a Mag3 moving water from the overflow/sump to the display tank via one single 1/4" output. I've had the 1260 since last years PA order and have been planning since, but with the new baby I have not had a chance to really get to it until now. So, the hope is to remove the 2 Koralia's so remove some of the tank clutter while keeping a similar flow for my softies. I do understand that the sump itself will be a "high flow" sump and there are mixed reviews on this, but for the macro I keep this seems to be good depending on what you read. If I put a skimmer in that chamber it will probably be bad, but since I have a HOB skimmer it should not matter much.

Does this plan sound fair? Am I looking for problems with heat down the road using the more powerful 1260 (stand alone) vs the Mag 3 and 2 K2's?

Thanks in advance!
Ben

ben, the 2nd picture, is that looking from the top view?

if its's NOT, you won't want a return to go all the way down to the tank in case you lose power causing the tank to drain down to the sump, otherwise, I like it. Especially the fail safe drain.

and as far as I know, the eheim 1260 doesn't produce as much heat (especially if ran externally) as I would say a similar mag would

since running my mag5 i have not seen a drastic increase in temperature. ~.3+ use a dual fan if your that crazy about the mag adding a little extra heat