• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank crisis!

Ideally when using a refractometer, it should be calibrated using a standard solution that is close to the SG of the water you want to measure.

That being said, it's not a major crises if you are using RO/DI water and calibrating the refractometer to 0.

This is because it's not going to make much difference if you run the system within normal ranges, about 1.023 - 1.028. What is important is to maintain a constant SG. It's also important to know the difference between two water samples. When you obtain new livestock you are going to need to be a lot more careful doing the acclimation if the SG differs by .008, compared to a difference of .001

If you want to make sure you are right on, by all means pick up a calibrating solution the next time you are shopping on the net, but don't feel it's something you need to do today now.

Jason, wish I read this sooner... I work right by Giants Stadium and travel to and from NYC 3 or 4 times a week, I could have easily stopped by with my refractometer. Do you have an update for us??? And have you picked up a refractometer yet? Any smart betting man would put big money on the problem being your hydrometer. Your probably better testing the salinity by tasting the water.

Rob