• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank stand

So I built a stand everything looks great and is true straight all that good stuff put it where I want it and slapped the tank on top tank is level looks great one little problem the tank rocks alittle bit maybe a 1/6th to 1/8th in even know everything is level if I try to adjust for the rock my tank becomes not level so my question is start over and build a new stand or just let it go

Dan, I had the same exact problem. Basically there were a few tiny raised spots here and there. Basically imperfections in the wood. Never noticed with the level. I had to sand and sand till I got it as close as I could. Basically less then 1/16" movement. I got the tank level and shimmed the corner that was raised. I haven't seen any problems. But I'm not an expert here. That's just my solution.

Hey thanks John so you shimmed between that tank and stank because I bought shims but was a little worried about doing that because I thought I would be putting pressure on other parts of the tank

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey thanks John so you shimmed between that tank and stank because I bought shims but was a little worried about doing that because I thought I would be putting pressure on other parts of the tank

You should never shim between a tank and the stand. This is when a piece of foam between the tank and stand would help.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The same foam in Steve's re-re-build thread. You asked what the foam is for, it helps with any high spots or pressure points on the bottom of the tank.

Try to shim the stand under one of the corners that you have the gap/rocking. Shims usually will help square and level the stand and the foam gives you a little more cushion for error and imperfections in the stand.

The same foam in Steve's re-re-build thread. You asked what the foam is for, it helps with any high spots or pressure points on the bottom of the tank.

That's what I thought but didn't get a response the stand sits level and the tank sit level everything is great but when the tank is on there it rocks a little so my new plan is to lay a sheet of ply wood down and put foam over the plywood and put tank on sound good?
Thanks Brian and John

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree. Putting shims between the stand and tank is a NO NO! It will put stress on the frame wherever the shim is due to the water weight. This will lead to eventual crack or joint separation.

If you put another plywood flat "top" on the stand and then cover that in foam before putting the tank on it... you should fix any slight imperfections. If afterwards you're tank is not level, then shim the bottom of the stand to correct it.

Also, make sure the plywood doesn't have any bow to it when you buy it. Even still, I would put a screw in about every 6 inches apart to counter any warping in the wood.

Good luck Dan. Show us some pics once you get it worked out.

I ripped it all down threw everything away and started from scratch spent 1hour at my local hardware store on the search for perfect wood I wasn't happy with my self in building something thats off just a little 75gallons is alot of water so I'm almost done a new one and this is going to be perfect. Plus side I have more ideas now that I took a step back
Thanks for all your help guys