• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

tank temp

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So after reading a very "passionate" thread on another site, I wanted to throw this question out there to my fellow club members.

What would be an ideal temperature range to keep our reef tanks at. I know that there are some key factors that will give variances but overall is there a "sweet spot?" personally I keep mines at/around 76-77' but have noticed that corals tend to "fill out more" when the temp is a bit higher

Thoughts...

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
i just keep mine around 78.5, i'd go a bit higher but i've always kept it there and in the summer the tank heats up to around 80-82 degrees during the day anyways, so keeping it a bit lower helps it not overheat, though i'm not sure at what temp my tank would suffer.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
78.5 here, used to do 76-77 but 78.5 seems to be my sweet spot for growth

Read through some temp threads recently also and decided it was ok to go a little higher. My heaters are set to 77. During the summer it ranges between 78-80. Start a fan at around 79.5 (Until last week, I started it at 78.5)

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Read through some temp threads recently also and decided it was ok to go a little higher. My heaters are set to 77. During the summer it ranges between 78-80. Start a fan at around 79.5 (Until last week, I started it at 78.5)

I thought about fans, especially since this is my first summer after switching from led to t5's and during a warm day, the tank went up to 81, but after reading online that some people let it travel up to 82 and higher, i figured i'll just let it go and see how everything responds. So far no ill effects, tank has been slightly over 81.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
whilst i was away for memorial day weekend, with the temps outside rising, my tank shot up from about 77 to around 79/80. I had a fan on it (as i didn't want to have the AC running the whole time whilst i was away), but with the closed top and "jumping fish" i had a few sleepless nights. to my relief, i came home and everything looked fine. in fact as i mentioned, the corals seemed to puff up a little more than normal <---is that a good thing?

in the past my tank was in the basement where it was a lot cooler so i never had this issue, so i wanna make sure that i am not cooking up a seafood soup