• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

TDS reading

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Okay, Phil let me borrow his TDS meter today and the reading I get from the faucet is 137ppm. Does that sound normal? Tomorrow I will test the RO water.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Faucet could be anything from 50 to 500. 137 isn't SO bad.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When you test make sure it's out a glass container, a plastic one may cause the reading to be higher.

Bob

malulu

NJRC Member
137ppm is like a holly water to me...

my IN-LET is 650+ ppm !!!

with the Cati-Ani-5 (rated as 6000gals), i'll be able to have it down to ~ 5ppm. (but, i have to recharge the unit about 200-gals usage, approximate every 2 weeks!!!)

d*** municipal water!!

malulu said:
137ppm is like a holly water to me...

my IN-LET is 650+ ppm !!!

with the Cati-Ani-5 (rated as 6000gals), i'll be able to have it down to ~ 5ppm. (but, i have to recharge the unit about 200-gals usage, approximate every 2 weeks!!!)

d*** municipal water!!

iirc a reading of 650 at your inlet is higher than state law allows. Have you contacted your municipal?

my water is like 300 something or other. With my undersink rodi (drinking) it's like 15. I think I have to do something about the DI resin.

malulu

NJRC Member
vangvace,

do you know where can I find the info on that - about what is the allowed limit? i definitely will give them a call once i confirm it.

FYI:
i do have a whole house water softener, and with those drinking filter from HomeDepot, i am not too worry on the drink water side...
just very annoy on the fact that getting good quality water for my fish tank is a pain!! (total of 400+ gals)

thx

vangvace said:
iirc a reading of 650 at your inlet is higher than state law allows. Have you contacted your municipal?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The water is now reading 13ppm. Problem is I have it hooked up outside and am concerned that if starts raining again how it will affect my water. Any suggestions? Also, what type of container can I use to capture the water in? I don't want to use several littles but one container that holds about 20g. I see several colored storage containers but am not sure if they are safe.

Thanks,
Mark

MAVL666 said:
The water is now reading 13ppm. Problem is I have it hooked up outside and am concerned that if starts raining again how it will affect my water. Any suggestions? Also, what type of container can I use to capture the water in? I don't want to use several littles but one container that holds about 20g. I see several colored storage containers but am not sure if they are safe.

Thanks,
Mark

Where did you take this reading? You should measure the water going into the RO membrane, the water coming out of the RO membrane and the water coming out of the DI. This way you can tell how each stage is operating and how efficiently.

Brute trash cans work great for storage. But be sure too rinse anything you use first.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You need to keep your containers covered (and tarped?). You definitely don't want acid rain in your tank water.

malulu said:
vangvace,

do you know where can I find the info on that - about what is the allowed limit? i definitely will give them a call once i confirm it.

FYI:
i do have a whole house water softener, and with those drinking filter from HomeDepot, i am not too worry on the drink water side...
just very annoy on the fact that getting good quality water for my fish tank is a pain!! (total of 400+ gals)

thx

vangvace said:

2005 drinking water standards
http://www.nj.gov/dep/watersupply/

TDS is a secondary standard because it isn't a single item, but a collective. Also strictly ions as well iirc on how tds meters work.
I'd be concerned that if TDS is high, some other variable might be as well. Not lose sleep over worry, but good to know.