• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Terrible customer service - Live Rock n Reef

I recently placed an order for 20 lbs of live refugiums rock. Before placing my order I wanted to find out all the shipping info. So I asked what type of shipping is Free with my purchase. I was told "2nd day FedEx. It has been shipped this way for 13 years and everything would be fine for even 3 to 4 days." Ok fine 2nd day should be ok. I did what I had to and found out all my info before placing my order. Well after placing my order and getting the tracking info, my order will be shipped FedEx ground and be delivered on Dec 13. Shipped on Dec 5th, so 8 days in shipping. I called to complain because as far as i am concerned this is not acceptable. Like the guy said in the email "they have done it this way for 13 years" So why was my order any different from the ones placed over the last 13 years? I talked to someone and they told me the live rock is fine for weeks in shipping this time of the year. He only mentioned the coraline being ok, never mentioned the critters in the rock. I didn't want to fight so I am chalking this up as a loss of money due to misinformation from there staff. I do not believe the critters in the live rock will make it that long. Does anyone agree with me or is Live Rock and Reef telling the truth? aM i WRONG TO BE ANGRY? Like the guy said they have some of the best rock, well thats why I ordered it. But i actually don't care how it looks, I want all the life, it's refugium rock. I will not be ordering from them again no matter how nice there other rock is. I want good service and responsable people, not someone who could care less about the thousands of critters they kill in transport. I have emails and tracking to prove everthing in this post if anyone needs them. FIRST AND LAST TIME CUSTOMER OF LIVE ROCK AND REEF. :mad:

i ordered LR once from a florida/gulf of mexico operation -they only guaranteed pick up at the airport/overnight shipping. but they shipped the LR in water so it was super heavy - and super alive with both bad and good hitchers.

If you are getting LR shipped like this - most of the stuff will be dead by the time you get it - only thing left will be hardy inverts (if any). But you're getting LR that perhaps will be very stinky.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I doubt much will be alive on the rock after all that time. If you have all the info I would fight for my money back; was not what you told. Either contact your credit card company or bank to get the funds. Also, I would refuse the shipment once delivered whether you have the money or not.

If I was you I would call Fedex with the tracking number and see if you could refuse the package. If they allow this, then just file a complaint with your credit card and give them the information you have. Simply stated you were told one thing before paying and given another thing after paying, this is not what you agreed to so I cant see the CC company denying the claim. Typically CC companies are very consumer friendly anyway.

I agree with others,what you paid for is what you should get.As for the rock,IMO there is def going to be some dead stuff on the rock,but the rock will still be usable.I think inside the rock is where the beneficial bacteria are too.And I have read where live rock from the time its harvested to the time it gets to our tanks loses alot of living things on them.Someone who has the correct terminology can chime in.I have live rock currently that has sat in a bucket moist and wrapped in paper and I know I could use this rock at any givin time as long as I keep it moist with saltwater.

Thanks for everyones help. I had that feeling that most of the little critters would die. I feel so bad for even buying the rock now and having all that life die off. I would have paid extra for it to be shipped 2nd day if I knew they were going to ship it ground.

Believe it or not, a lot of the stuff that encrusts in the gulf is not necessarily easy to keep in our tanks. Like i said, my only experience was with one company that ships their LR in water and I had to go to JFK airport (CARGO) (when I lived in Ny) to pick up the shipment. It was teeming with evil crabs, mantis shrimp, barnacles and even a type of brain coral. But in the end all of that stuff just competed with the corals you want from ORA etc.

Basically i'm saying the die off isn't that bad - in the end you're still left with usable LR that will help cycle the tank and help provide a suitable area for bacteria to colonize. However if you paid top dollar for these critters - than you are probably going to be disappointed given the lengthy shipping.

I ordered from this place http://floridaliverock.com/ for my first tank. I did the same thing, grabbed it from Philly airport next day. It was amazing live rock loaded with critters good and bad. Had 2 mantis shrimp. What a pain to get out. They were pretty small but smart little guys. It was fun to watch at night to see what came out. But like you said most stuff in the end competes with the corals but those poor little pods and other good little guys with no clean water for 8 days kills me. It cost me $77 for 20 lbs. So not breaking the bank but could have got rubble cheaper. i would have ordered the live rock for my DT from them if everything would have worked out and the rock was nice. I ended up ordering dry rock from Marco rock today for my new tank instead of going with live rock because of this problem. I was up in the air but figured this is probably best and no headaches. Plus i can aquascape easier. Now that I think about it in the end they saved me a ton of money $8+ a lb for there live rock. I payed $2 a pound for the dry rock. But the critters still suffer.:frown:

Talked to FedEx earlier. They just got back to me. The women was able to re-route for early delivery on Sat. Still 5 days but that is a lot better than 8 days in shipping but maybe I can save some of the life. Thanks everyone for the support and help.