• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thinking of new fish

I have a 135 gallon tank (6' x 18" x 25") L x W x H with about 180 pounds of LR.

Currently stocked:

2 ocellaris clowns
Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
Sixline wrasse
mandarin
bluespot jawfish
yellow watchman goby
lawnmower blenny
coral beauty
green chromi
I have a few LPS and zoa frags.

I am trying to think of a fish or two to add.

I was thinking of adding a powder blue tang which I originally wanted, but my mom wanted the yellow tang so I let her win.

But I was thinking maybe I could still do it, but wanted to check and see if there would be an issue with the yellow and powder since they have a similar shape.

or if not the Powder blue maybe a naso tang...

I had a majestic angel, but unfortunately the yellow tang beat it up and killed it and I don't want to risk losin another one!

Any other suggestions are welcomed that will blend with my current fish and are reef safe.

Brando457 said:
But I was thinking maybe I could still do it, but wanted to check and see if there would be an issue with the yellow and powder since they have a similar shape.

I suggest getting an anthia or two. The tangs may battle especially if the current guys are established...

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Adding a new tang now is a real bad idea. Been there done that :(. Plus powder blue are very delicate and difficult to keep.

+1 on the anthias. There are so many to choose from. Trop has many varieties right now and they have the buy 1 get on 50% off sale.

Another option is a pseudochromis. You have a 6 line wrasse, you can try adding another peaceful wrasse. However am not sure if 6 line is aggressive.

Sunny

monroereef said:
Adding a new tang now is a real bad idea. Been there done that :(. Plus powder blue are very delicate and difficult to keep.

+1 on the anthias. There are so many to choose from. Trop has many varieties right now and they have the buy 1 get on 50% off sale.

Another option is a pseudochromis. You have a 6 line wrasse, you can try adding another peaceful wrasse. However am not sure if 6 line is aggressive.

Sunny

6 line doesn't bother anyone just kind of hangs out, he is rather small and a nice fish.

Guses I'll nix the tang idea, that stinks. Should've went with the blue instead of the yellow when I had the chance :/ from Dr. Jim.

I'll check out anthias and maybe another wrasse. I just feel like my tank is so big and the fish normally all hang out in one spot that it looks empty lmao.

concept3 said:
Brando457 said:

+2 both points are spot on. I wouldn't go for another wrasse. Canary Blenny maybe...is yellow(mom should like it) and it is more of a up in the water column sort of fish.
How about some captive bred cardinals. Saw Phils gaggle the other day very very nice.

I suggest getting an anthia or two. The tangs may battle especially if the current guys are established...

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Take a look at a leopard wrasse. It's a good looking and peaceful fish.

Bob

I have a carpenters flasher wrasse in my tank, really cool fish. Looking for a mccoskers flasher as well. Also borbonius anthias are beautiful fish, but expensive.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
magic said:

Bob

+1 on being a beautiful fish but one of the most difficult wrasse to keep. They are very fussy eaters. Make sure the one you get is EATING.

monroereef said:
magic said:

Bob

+1 on being a beautiful fish but one of the most difficult wrasse to keep. They are very fussy eaters. Make sure the one you get is EATING.

i agree. Also other wrasses (sixline) may see it as a threat and attack. My yellow coris wrasse killed my leopard....(it also didn't help that the guy wouldn't eat).