• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tiny black bug!

05C8F7BD-8BBB-4D91-99F9-77EA5219E433.jpeg A902FE83-E933-4C02-8BA6-FBA961797261.jpeg There were some really tiny black dots crawling on a frag when I dipped it last night. I managed to get one under my microscope. Is this bug a problem? If so, any ideas for treatment? The frag is in a quarantine tank. Thanks!

horseplay

NJRC Member
I used to have these super tiny black bugs on my sps. They never caused any problem. But I am not sure if they’re the same bug as yours. They’re very tiny and you can’t see the legs with naked eye. They move pretty fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
What type of coral was it? Were they on the coral or just the plug? If they were crawling on the actual coral, they are definitely some type of pest, possibly parasitic copepods or red bugs. Bayer and interceptor will kill them. IF they were only on the plug/disc most likely it is a harmless type of copepod. Very cool you were able to get it under a microscope, but still makes it difficult to ID.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I used to have these super tiny black bugs on my sps. They never caused any problem. But I am not sure if they’re the same bug as yours. They’re very tiny and you can’t see the legs with naked eye. They move pretty fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joe sounds like red bugs. I would treat with interceptor if you still have them

horseplay

NJRC Member
Darren they might very well be red bugs. I sold all my sps at one point and I was told I had bugs on them.