• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

To bow or not to bow

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So, I have the opportunity to pick up a 155 complete system for $1000 or go with a standard 180 with just tank and stand for the same price. The problem is I have no clue about the look of the bow front and know no one with one. So, I want the good, bad, and the ugly. Advice please, which should I go with.

Well I owned a 90 bow before which I liked but it always seemed to be dark in the front which you could fix I'm sure with some more lights I didn't have that option at the time. I now own a 180 and love it the length width hight perfect for anything I would go with the 180 I do think $1000 is a little much if it's used IMO.
When you say complete system for the 155 that's lights tank stand skimmer sump everything? That would be a good price I live in blackwood your more then welcome to stop by and check out my system anytime.
Ps if you need any help at all when you do decide let me know

I vote No.

Thanks Dan, and yes complete meant everything is included.

Karen,
Here are my .2cents. While 1K might sound like a good deal now.. After inspection, like many, you might find yourself questioning whether or not it was a good purchase. A used tank is.. Used. It comes with all the problems, age, and issues that the previous user had. This means after draining and moving the stand might suffer some structural degredation and require some patching up if not re-inforcement. You will spend hours cleaning,scraping and ensuring that your acrylic seams are good. Plumbing will need to be re-done. Bulkheads will need to be re-bought and flanges changed. Pumps will need maintenance kits, impeller and bearing changes etc. Sumps will need draining and cleaning. If your willing to drop 1K on the entire setup it might be good idea to evaluate what a used tank in the 180 range might actually cost you BRAND NEW with Warranty. Here is a rough breakdown.

~ A 180 At COST from Tropiaquarium is less than 1K. Thats a Brand New Tank. A brand new custom tank from Glasscages.com will run you around 800~950 Shipped to Jersey/PA/NY

~ Wood to build and Skin a stand will run you around 250 If you stick to Sanded Oak and 2X4's. Many here on the forum have the skills and tools to do the build. Labor can usually be paid with Frags/Cash/Beer and offset by getting your hands dirty and helping. Were talking a skinned stand in 1 weekend. Not only will the stand be stronger than any thing you can buy in the stores..., but it will be larger, offer more features and space + truly be unique.

~ Sumps can be had for very cheap with the ever annual Dollar Gallon Sales. Picking up 2 40 gallon Breeders for 80 Bucks and some cut pieces of glass from the nearest shop/lowes can mean you have a 40 gallon Sump, a 40 gallon Refuge/Frag Tank.. made of Glass and plumbed together. Or Just go buck wild and spend 75 bucks and grab a 75 gallon tank and section it up.

~ Personally I have seen Bow front tanks and they suck. They suck for tanking pictures, they have nice viewing angles..., but they suck for lighting. They usually have a god awful center brace that you can park a car on and imho they loose their appeal quickly.

* some might argue about the other *necessities*

Return Pumps like the Jebao are nice and controllable.... and no one should be buying koralias anymore. Jebao's are the new default controllable water movers.

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow, thanks for your input. Yeah, after hearing a few opinions, I decided against the bow.