• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

To much Flow?

Is it possible to have to much flow in a tank? I have a 70 gallon tech tank with a mag 7 return. Two Korilla 3's and 1 korilla 2. Is this to much flow?

I guess I need to post my standard answer, "What are you keeping?"

That would be way too much flow for my Euphyllia dominated LPS collection.

But the SPS crowd can never get enough. ;)

I agree with Bill, and would like to add that as your corals grow, the flow will have to be adjusted accordingly. When I started with my 75 (SPS dominated), I originally used 2 X Koralia #4, which was too much in the beginning. (I'm not counting my return flow). I then resorted to 1 X Koralia #3 + 1 X #4. As the corals grew, I switched out the #3 with the #4. In the end, before I upgraded to a bigger tank, I was using 1 X Koralia #4, 1 X #3 AND a Tunze 6060. :eek:

So what is in the mix? What kind of SPS?

Do you run carbon?

I found that by focusing on groups, mostly LPS, mostly softies, etc. you can tune conditions to meet the needs of a group.

The few SPS I have do much better with the LPS than they do with a lot of leathers and other softies.

If I ever decide to focus on SPS, there are a lot of corals I wouldn't mix with them.

I am running 2 koralia #4 and 1 #3 I have them angled so that the glass disperses the water movement. I see that I have more polyp extension that way. I also run them on a red see wave maker. I know everyone says that it wont last but to be honest I have had them on that wave maker for about a year and I have had no problem with them, other than the clicking sound I get from them. but to avoid that I put a small piece of airline tube in front over the black part and it reduced the noise a bit. (great advice from a friend)