• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Toby Puffers??

I'm trying to get a 34 Gallon cube for my apartment. I saw on Diver's Den a pair of Leopard Toby Puffers. They say minimum tank size is 30. But does anyone know anything about these fish?? Are they hardy fish?? What do they eat?? What can you keep with them?? Etc, etc.

Any info on Toby Puffers would be awesome!!

I kept a blue spotted Toby puffer in a species specific nano for three years (don't judge it was in the 90s and I didn't know any better at the time). My litte guy ate just mysis, brine, and flake, but he was in a species specific tank because he beat the heck out of my other fish. . . One of which was a maroon clown. There was an article in coral magazine a few months ago on Tobias if I recall, ill try to find it for you.

Hi,
I am the one that bought the Toby Puffer pair from Divers Den. They just arrived today and I just put them in the tank. I'm very excited!!!!! I will let you know how it goes with them!!!!

I kept a blue spotted Toby puffer in a species specific nano for three years (don't judge it was in the 90s and I didn't know any better at the time). My litte guy ate just mysis, brine, and flake, but he was in a species specific tank because he beat the heck out of my other fish. . . One of which was a maroon clown. There was an article in coral magazine a few months ago on Tobias if I recall, ill try to find it for you.

Thanks Nikki....they are awesome looking fish!!

Ok....I've been looking everywhere for info on the toby's and I can't find anything. Can anyone point me to something ......please?

I do believe that Valentini Puffers fall into the category with Toby Puffers, And if so I can help you out. I have a Valentini in my 20L for about a year and a half, and he was a great fish. I actually am looking to get one for my 75 now if i can find one small enough. But anyway...

Eating: My guy started with frozen food, but eventually ate everything from flake to live to frozen to pellets. he didnt care
Hardy: My tank was without power for about 2 and a half days last winter in the ice storm, and he was one of the few that survived. Chilling temps, no running water, nothing. Id say he was hardy.
Tankmates: He was with a pair of clowns and a yellow watchman goby. I got him at the size of a quarter maybe, so he was the smallest fish. Did not nip anyone or bully anyone at all. Did not even look twice at corals or my clam either.

If theres anything else you would like to know feel free to post a specific question. Hopefully by experience i can answer.

Thanks Mike!!

Read through it....looks like Tobies should only be kept with another toby of opposite sex....looks like they will go after other reef fish :undecided:

Looks like I have a decision to make....either 2 tobies or a bunch of other fish......hmmmmmmm

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Coral magazine comes out every other month and we buy every issue. We should probably just subscribe, but Trop carries it so we are in there quite a bit.