• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Transfering tanks

I plan on setting up my 75 this weekend but I have a couple of concerns. If half the water is new will it cycle? Also if I add new sand will that cause a cycle? What I want to do is transfer everything from my 42 to the 75 in one swoop and just add additional sand and water.

Honestly with all the issues you were having in the old tank, I would just start completely new with all new sand water and rock if possible. That being said, if that's not an option then you could use all the water from your current tank (except the last few gallons which will.be nasty from all the moving) but don't use any sand except maybe a few cups. I just did an upgrade in sept. And did it all in one day

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Honestly with all the issues you were having in the old tank, I would just start completely new with all new sand water and rock if possible. That being said, if that's not an option then you could use all the water from your current tank (except the last few gallons which will.be nasty from all the moving) but don't use any sand except maybe a few cups. I just did an upgrade in sept. And did it all in one day

My problem is I'm putting the 75 in the spot the 42 is in now. If I start from scratch it will take another 2 months before I can do anything. Also the wife is not allowing another tank at this time. :( Maybe I can talk her into a temp one until I get the 75 up and running.

Yea id just be worried if it was me. Id hate for you to build a brand new nice tank and have the redbugs/po4 issues come right with it. Either way make sure you do all new sand or you will cause a mega cycle. You could always setup a little 20 gallon as a temp tank and just throw all your stuff in there why the 75 is going. if you buy a cycle product like dr, tims one and only and cured rock, you might only be looking at a month or so

I don't think redbugs will be a problem as all the acro's in the qt tank look terrible. Do you think I could get away with some of the rock in my current tank as it has some zoa's on them and another has 2 feather dusters in them?

Red bugs feed on acropora only. They may walk or be blown from one part of the tank to another, and be "on" another coral, but they cannot feed on it and absent acropora, will die. I would do a long fallow period if you choose to move livestock or rock into the new tank before adding any acros, 2-3 months.

Red bugs feed on acropora only. They may walk or be blown from one part of the tank to another, and be "on" another coral, but they cannot feed on it and absent acropora, will die. I would do a long fallow period if you choose to move livestock or rock into the new tank before adding any acros, 2-3 months.

What about my encrusting monti's and LPS? Can I transfer them without worrying about redbugs? I don't plan on going heavy on the rock so new rock doesn't bother me I just don't want to have to trash corals and critters just so I don't get redbugs.

What about my encrusting monti's and LPS? Can I transfer them without worrying about redbugs? I don't plan on going heavy on the rock so new rock doesn't bother me I just don't want to have to trash corals and critters just so I don't get redbugs.

Los and monti should be fine. Just don't add acros for awhile like nikki said and they will all die off

I would definatly do new sand. That is almost a must. As for the cycle if you add enough live rock from old tank you might get away with only a mini cycle. On the day of the change. Empty old tank into buckets. Put new tank in place. Add new sand, live rock and water. Keep your rock in water at all times to avoid die off. Use as much water from old system as you can to help keep parameter close. Fill and add fish. You might see a small cycle. But like above mentioned dr. Tim's might help you avoid it. I think fish factory in Bristol, pa has it. But confirm that first. Just make sure that whatever new rock you add does not have to be cycled first. If it does then you need to do that first.

Could I do very minimal LR and clean my current rock and add later? I really like a few rocks I have already. Also how will you know if the new rock needs to be cycled.

Could I do very minimal LR and clean my current rock and add later? I really like a few rocks I have already. Also how will you know if the new rock needs to be cycled.

Well if the lfs la honest then they will.say but you can tell by the smell to. Uncured rock is funky

Yep. If it was previously live then it need to be cycled. If you are using dry rock like reef rocks or brs pukani you can get away without cycling/curing just a good rinse as long as they have ever seen water. It really sound like in your case prepare for a cycle.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not necessarily. Mine gobbles up black worms (live or frozen) and also frozen blood worms. Some people even get theirs to eat frozen brine shrimp. Mine have tried it a few times and ate it... but wasn't pigging out on them.

You can try all of those, but the live black worms will definitely work. You just have to be patient though because mandarins are stalkers and not very fast so the worms tend to blow away from them before they can catch them.

So I have another problem. I have a little manderine, wont it starve out in a freshly cycled tank?

You can also start a pod culture.
Take a package of artipods, and put in a 1l container with 2 cups of water from your tank. Put it on a windowsill. Do not air ate. Add a small amount of food. Every 3-4 days, top it off, and harvest pods. I use a baster to top off and harvest the pods. Don't worry if the water turns green, it is not a problem.

What if I take one of my current rocks and shake it off in a bucket and get the little buggers from there?