• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Treo's Biocube 2.0

October 7th

this was my biocube just after the copper crash that was initiated by yours truly

IMG_2245.jpg

it was only up for about 4 months and, well it wasn't anything really special. At the time I had 5 fish in there and a GSP a leather toadstool and some Button polys and a Branching Hammer. The CUC was modest with only about 8 snails and 5 hermits and 2 Nars.

I had about 60lbs of live sand and about 20+ lbs of crushed coral. Live rock was at 22 1/2 lbs.

Then came the crash. All but 2 hermits survived the crash. The Snails were all dead. 2 Blue devils were gone too. The toadstool bit the dust and the GSP eventually died, and the Hammer liquifiedinto a Peanut butter and Jelly mixture, only the green button lived.

I was crushed, what a stupid mistake. Then I kept reading stories on other boards on how the tank is forever contaminated. Nothing I could do would completely remove the copper as it probably bind to the acrylic.

One of the sources of the crash, a copper elbow along with two, yes two copper barbs (not shown)
IMG_2241.jpg

I tossed the substrate and was about to throw out the L/R. The survivors were moved into an Eclipse 6 gal that I had running for about 3 months with two damsels and with about 10 lbs of crushed coral. It would make for some very cramped quarters.

A vinegar scrub and about three nights of vinegar soak with all my pumps in it saw to the copper problem (if it ever existed) on the tank The rocks were soaked and thusly and sadly, for whatever life remained, "sterilized."

The tank was then "cycled" with a poly filter pad, and the water temp to about 110 f and then brought down to 60 F and then back up. I wanted to encourage PH shifts and to see if any copper would come out if it indeed had bind itself to the tank surface. This took three days. The pad showed no blue hue. It stayed white.
I then bought some Nature's Ocean live sand, some Aragonite sand and threw that in after a brief water change of about 30%.

I was about to buy some new L/R from the LFS that I used to go to however was about to buy some Poly pads when I noticed that they wanted $16 per unit. I was buying it for $7 at my local petland discount place where I lived.Then I noticed other markups of a 100% or more in some cases. They may have a nice store and claim to be the best in Jersey, but I'll be damned if I get ripped off.

But I digress.

Craigslist saw to my L/R. I got 30+ lbs of l/r loaded with Aiptasia.

The old now somewhat "sterilized" rock is in a 10 gal AGA that I found on the side slated for trash pickup (one mans' trash is another's treasure)One day when I'm confident that the Copper is gone from that rock I'll upgrade the lighting and turn it into a reef tank. for now it's a FOWLR in my daughter's room
FOWLR for now
IMG_2293.jpg

The cube is going to be worked on pending further water tests in the future but for now this is it

Biocube 29 is quite Spartan for now. Hopefully I can get some color in this thing
IMG_2302.jpg

Guess how many Aiptasia where in the tank?

October 31st

So after buying some frags from juice44 and getting the Kenya from RFD4, save for a small outbreak of bryopsis. Algaefix from API and a cuc from reefcleaners.org has been handling this to great effect. The Scarlet munches on this all day long, so I'm lucky I guess.

I'm going really slow with this. I've seen some tanks at the 4 month point that look absolutely lovely, and fully stocked. At times I feel the "Envy Bug" wanting to crawl out of its hole.

I digress.

I'm starting with small softie frags
Two polyp ricordia
IMG_2339.jpg

Button Polyp (I haven't identified this one yet)
IMG_2337.jpg

10 polyp frag Tequila Sunrise
IMG_2336.jpg

Sinularia
IMG_2342.jpg

a Xenia
IMG_2344.jpg

The small Kenya Frag
IMG_2343.jpg

Tank now. Still lots more work to do
IMG_2345.jpg

I'm interested to see how everything grows, including the Macro Algae Fire Fern, which has been growing quite rapidly, well, at least for me that is.

Can't wait for this to get going, but this time I'm going to move about at a snail's pace.

I would love to upgrade the lights to an LED solution, however I don't have the patience required to DIY. Any one know of a lighting system that will more or less plug in and go for Biocubes? I have a spare top that Oceanic was kind enough to send to me and would love to put that to good use.

Treo360 said:
Just went to Nano Customs website. My knees are weak. LED kit costs more than what I've paid for the cube :eek:

although led's are nice, i cant see paying that much for LED's on a biocube. i got the pc upgrade for less then 100 and it made a world of difference with the brightness