• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

True Percula Clowns

Laid eggs! yay...i know - been there done that for most folks here - but it's a first for me.

Will take pics later.

Congrats man. If anything chalk it up to good husbandry because it shows that your clowns are comfortable enough to mate in a secure environment.

Congratulations on the spawning. I have had a pair of maroon clowns for a couple of years and today I noticed a batch of eggs myself today. It is a first for me as well. I don't know what to do now. I have been waiting for this and I am unprepared to deal with it. Will you be trying to raise the fry? On another note. My clowns are still not aggressive. The male a bit more protective but too small compared to other tank mates. The other fish in the tank seem to know the eggs are there and hang around a bit close to the nest. Maybe just my imagination.

steamman said:
Congratulations on the spawning. I have had a pair of maroon clowns for a couple of years and today I noticed a batch of eggs myself today. It is a first for me as well. I don't know what to do now. I have been waiting for this and I am unprepared to deal with it. Will you be trying to raise the fry? On another note. My clowns are still not aggressive. The male a bit more protective but too small compared to other tank mates. The other fish in the tank seem to know the eggs are there and hang around a bit close to the nest. Maybe just my imagination.
The eggs will hatch at first dusk on the 7th or 8th night if your lighting is mimicking a typical day/night schedule.

If you are unable to move the clowns/eggs from the display - then you could try and siphon them as they hatch (if you are willing to wait and watch). Do a slow slow siphon otherwise you may hurt them. Move the clowns into a small tank with a sponge filter.

That's the easy part.

The hard part is feeding them food small enough for them to eat. I'm not sure on maroons as they may be bigger but with true percs they require rotifers, a lot of rotifers. They have to be live too. Which means you need to get live phyto (to feed the live rotifers).

All of this info is almost "public info" on joyce wilkerson's clownfish book - great great book. If you are serious about breeding them - get the book. Good luck!

steamman said:
I ordered a rotifier starter kit today. It will be here on Wednesday. Thanks for the advice Hawkeye.

You're a better man than I am. Mine lay eggs like chickens, but I am not willing to make the commitment to try and raise them.

per joyce:

set up a 10 gallon tank but only use 3 gallons of water in it. This will help to ensure the larvae eat.

Make sure the tank seams are good. Apparently the larvae are so small they can get stuck in a seam and die.

Cover the tank and do not let any light in except from the top. Cover it though with dark material. The reflection of light from the sides will mess around with their sighting of food.

After 5 days when the eyes have developed - you can remove the covers.

Keep salinity at 1.018 to 1.021.

Feeding schedule:
rotifers (age0 to 12 days)
newly hatched brine shrimp (day 5 for percs, day 7 for maroons)
flake food mashed - day (10~12).

Lighting - 16 hrs a day, 8 hrs dark.
But during those 16 hrs a day - make sure there is enuogh rotifiers.

if it wasn't for macna - I'd try this myself.

Thanks again Hawkeye. :) Your guidance in helping me try to attempt to raise the young is appreciated. I have been waiting about 3 or 4 years for this to happen. I am wondering if the recent addition of the anemone is the reason they started breeding. I know they say you don't need the anemone. Maybe they feel more secure with it or maybe it is just coincidence.

i'm excited about your getting the rotifiers...let us know how that works out.

fyi - i don't have an anemone in my tank. Though I imagine an anemone would help since it would prevent any other fish in the tank from wandering too close.