• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tunze DOC ProteinSkimmer 9010

Today I received a Tunze Protein Skimmer that I purchased used on ebay. The protein skimmer is working but there is no foam going to the collection cup nor any coming out the outlet pipe. I am fully aware that there is a break in period with new protein skimmers but am unsure about a used protein skimmer. Also why is there no water coming out of the outlet pipe. The water sits about a inch from the top of the pipe. Is this normal?
Jon

No the inlet pipe is completely submerged. But after I wrote this I noticed a hole in the back of the protein skimmer from which the water escapes. It appears that the hole is meant to be there. I am going to look into this a little more and look at the instruction manual again (it is written in like 3 or 4 languages and jumps all over the place.) If anyone owns one though please let me know about you experience with it.
Jon

jon - with tunze equipment, I always always go to roger on RC for help.

Regardless whether I bought the equipment new or used - the support team they have there is nothing short of remarkable.

Thanks for the heads up Phil. I finally figured out the problem. I have an oceanic model 1 sump and I had a mag 9.5 as my return pump right next to my Tunze protein skimmer in the last small chamber of the sump. The mag return pump was just to powerful and way to close to the protein skimmer (almost touching each other). So I swapped out the mag 9.5 with a spare Quiet One return pump that is slightly smaller and less powerful than the mag. Once I hooked up the quiet one return pump the skimmer is now working beautifully.
Jon