• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Uneven floor, would this work?

I am setting up a 125 RR tank at my brothers place. I notice that the floor is uneven, it is about 1/2" from left to right & 1/4" front to back. He has wood floors. I was thinking on building a temporary wood frame on floor with some heavy duty plastic on the bottom to protect the floor and pour some concrete inside the frame and make it level. The concrete will be from about 1/2" to 1" thick from left to right. I would like to know if this would work, is the concrete going to fall apart with the weight of the tank when fully loaded? Should I also put some wire mesh on concrete to make it stronger? the temporary wood frame would be remove ones the concrete dries. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thinset with mesh might work, concrete would never be stable that thin....i think you need to speak with a mason and explain to him that there is gonna be over 1000 pounds on it and find out what product would work best...

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow, a ½ inch drop within (I’m assuming) a 6 foot tank; and a ¼ drop within…maybe 18 – 24 inches. How old is this house and are there potential structural problems?

Anyway, typically what is used to level bathroom situations is a material called leveling concrete…it’s available at HD & Lowes. But this is then typically covered with tile (or some other kind of “skin”). I’m not sure how it would hold up under direct contact with a tank frame.

What I would do is make a frame out of dimensional wood that my tank stand would fit on. For example, a 2x4 frame, with the longer side showing (the 4” side), with the shorter side sitting on the floor (the 2” side). I would then put that in place and level it using shims. Once level, I would now scribe the bottom portion using a compass. Pick up the frame and either cut (using a saw), sand (using a belt sander), or plane off the wood up to the scribed line. This base unit is now a custom fit to the uneven floor.

Good Luck!