• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Used RR Tank

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I never bought a used tank before or had a RR tank. I found for sale a RR tank, sump, stand, pump and plumbing. What questions should I ask? How do I know when I look at it if tank is not going to explode/leak?:eek: He up graded his tank and took down the 90 gallon.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I would check the silicone, no missing pieces. No cracks in glass.
Same with sump even if its acrylic.
Check stand for warp or wood rot.

Ask how old it is how long it's been sitting without water. Check the silicone for bubbles and not peeling off the glass. You'll pretty much know by looking at the tank if it was taking care of.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
If pieces of silicone edges are missing from using an algae scrapper, is that bad?

I wouldn’t say so when they build a tank the silicone is used down the 2 edges of glass what you see on the inside corners of the tank is what is pushed out. So if the glass is will say 3/8 there’s still 3/8 of silicone in between it
If the tank is up and running now or just was and had no leaks I would get it