• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

using used live sand

Whats the best way to prepare used live sand so it can be used again. I have a huge tote of sand that has been sitting for about 3 weeks.....its still very wet.

I hate to waste it.... but how do I prep it so it can go in my new setup?

Thanks

actually i wouldn't use "fresh" used live sand, now it's been sitting in not too much water for 3 weeks stagnateing.... kinda scary., at this point you could dry it and it will be just sand and possible use it. but this is the foundation of your ecosystem you're building.... don't skimp..... really probably best off just going to buy some for the tank.... maybe dry it out thouroughly and use it in the sump later on, or a remote deep sand bed.

If it is your sand then you know that you don't have any problems like copper.
Just make sure you don't add any livestock right away because you could release ammonia and other baddies I think.

unless its been heated/aerated the whole time I would RINSE RINSE RINSE, then rinse some more. Get a tub and do a few lbs at a time... drain as much water as possible before putting in your new tank, plan for a cycle (I'd imagine).