• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

vermetid snails and Copperband Butterflies

Anybody else have a problem with vermetid snails. I have a ton of them and my fish and corals are starting to object. Actually they don't care a bit, but I just don't like the way they look. My fish are swimming around with mucus on their faces and it wasn't that bad until I got a Purple tang. He is so dark and the mucus is white, so it really stands out.

In any case, I had read an article by Ron Shimek suggesting that Copperband butterflies eat them. I was hesitant however to get one because of all the corals that i have and that he may start munching on some.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Maybe we should start a NJ Reefers Fish rental. Rent out Copperbands for people with Aptaisia and vermetid snails. THen they can move on to the next home when they are done.

I guess I'm just kidding about this, but in hindsight would anybody be interested in a Copperband if I get one, go through the process of quarantine, etc and then he starts eating my corals polyps?

Eric

vermetids are a pain in my tank too...I've convinced myself that in my next set of LR that I make sure no hitchers (good or bad) make it. Anyways - tagging along to see what others say.

I wonder if maybe a coral banded shrimp might help?

I would be interested in a CBB if you needed to part with him after. However, I don't think the CBB is a reliable predator of vermetid snails. None of the biological controls are reliable (wrasses, CBB, etc.) Is manual removal and/or killing the infested LR an option?

Thanks for the reply guys. Yes, I'm not sure that CBB's will be reliable in helping to rid my tank of the vermetid snails either. That is why I am thinking about alternatives. The problem is that I have so many in my tank that manual removal is not a good option and will only be temporary. If I decide about the Copperband and it doesn't work out, I'll keep you in mind.

Anyone know of a CBB that someone wants to sell?

Eric