• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Wave Wall tank

Marisol an I have been thinking about upgrading her 29 nano to something a little bigger, but still keep it in the bedroom...

there are some significant size restrictions and I've been brainstorming some ideas...

Restrictions:
1. it cannot protrude from the wall more then 15" or 16" (it would block the other side of the bed)

2. it cannot go on a regular stand as there is a baseboard heater on the wall in that area and with the width restriction that would kill the whole thing.

Here is our/my current Idea.

A 48L x 15W x 17H, +/-50 gal tank with 3 sides Starphire on a 1" square tube steel "stand" lag bolted to the wall studs, with a 40gal long sump on the level below...

and to keep the tradition going from the 70g look-down, this will be a "theme" tank as well. Wave tank

I'm going to put a MP10 or MP20 on one end and set it to the highest wave it will make... the custom overflow will be lowered 1 1/2" to 2" to accommodate this and the hood with be lowered so you don't see the water rocking back and forth.

50galtank.jpg

50galtank2.jpg

what ya'll think?

Looks great but if your going with 1" Welded steel frame the angled pieces aren't necessary. Also you only need legs on each corner. Use 1x1 for the legs and a 1x3 piece for the rectangle on the top. The more room the better you'll be glad with the extra room later

I think the tank is suspended off the ground right over the radiator?
That is a lot of weight. Don't know if it will work or not. Also consider some sort of heat shield otherwise your going to cook in your sump.

Oh i got ya. Not seeing the radiator in the pic made me forget one was involved. Sorrry. Your probably better off making a L notch or somethin in the back bottom of the stand then. I wouldnt try to hang it on the wall.

I hang Sheetrock all day long and I guarantee wood studs won't hold that weight. I wouldn't hang a 20 gallon tank on studs

yeah I think I'm going to extend the outside legs down to the floor just to make my life easier... BTW this is an exterior wall will 2x6 studs... I'm structural designer by day so I'm confident that I'll have any and all support bugs worked out before this is built.

I think / hope that with a fully open bottom area to let the heat from the radiator out that it won't be an issue.

Nickjr000 said:
Looks great but if your going with 1" Welded steel frame the angled pieces aren't necessary. Also you only need legs on each corner. Use 1x1 for the legs and a 1x3 piece for the rectangle on the top. The more room the better you'll be glad with the extra room later

the braces are to stiffen the frame... however if I do extend the out side legs, then I could eliminate them from the design.

1x3 won't be needed, I've run the calcs and 1x1 will be fine for this size load and span. ;D

BTW this is my last build thread
http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?topic=8527.0

I would recommend that the stand have 4 legs even if the other 2 legs are not on the corners.

this should help you to keep the tank level (front to back) and then the lag bolts to the studs are really there more for stability.