• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What are you reading?

Not sure if it will help, but the August issue of Freshwater and Marine Aquarium magazine is dedicated to starting a reef tank.
Just a thought that it may be a good read.

Hey Chuck, I hope you don't mind my moving your post, but I was planning on discussing this topic and you gave me the push to do it now. ;)

So we all probably spend too much time on websites reading every hobbyist's interpretation of what has been published on reefing. But who's reading actual books and magazines and tell us what you like or don't like.

Its sad, but I have not picked up a book in over a year. I think people like reading online cause most of the material is free and they can multitask reading other materials.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We read Coral magazine when it comes out every other month. We have found the following books very helpfull:

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner (Basically the bible of salt water fish)
The Marine Fish Health and Feeding Handbook
The Nano-Reef Handbook by Brightwell
The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes by Matt Wittenrich (for later when we have enough room to breed fish)

In my library I've got:

The Reef Aquarium, vol. I, II & III by Sprung and Delbeek
Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric Borneman
Aquarium Fish Survival Guide by Barron
Anemone Fishes by Fautin

The Reef Aquarium series is very good and has basically everything you'd ever want to know about anything saltwater aquarium. But it's expensive at $60-70 per book. The Borneman book has a lot of the same good info as RA and is geared more towards the begginer. For under $40 it's a real bargin.
Aquarium Fish is a book from the sixties or seventies that's just been repackaged with flashy photos. The info is out dated glosses over some of what I would consider basic necessary info. The Anemone Fishes book is similar repackage of old material but I believe she wrote a new book with the same or similar name which I've heard is much more relevant.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish, by Dr. Seuss

Contains everything you would ever need to know, whether you have one fish or two fish, and regardless if they are red or blue.

Sorry, couldn't resist! ;D

I've started to reread The Reef Aquarium Volume 1. Volume 2 may be next. I've never read volume 3 so I'll have to get that one someday.

I've also read Anthony Calfo's Book of Coral Propagation Volume 1.

Those are all some great suggestions, especially The Reef Aquarium by Delbeek and Sprung. I just finished Marine Chemistry, by Chris Brightwell, where he has a chapter for every important chemical relationship in the system. Very nice, and lightened with lots of pretty (but irrelevant) marine aquarium photos. And not a single plug for Brightwell products. Remember those old Herbert R. Axelrod books where every picture plugged some of his product?? ::)