• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What does everyone think about a Potters angel in a 29 bowfront?

Ive got about 30lbs of rock, and 20 lbs of sand. The tanks been cycling for a few weeks, parameters are as follows:
ph-8.3
ammonia-0 ppm
nitrite-0
nitrate-5 ppm.

I started with cured live rock out of someones tank and about 5 gals of waste water from my water change on my 24NC. Also looking for stocking suggestions if anyone wants to offer something up. I was thinking shrimp and goby pair, potters angel, and a pair of clowns with an anenome. Any thoughts? Thanks

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You might want to pick another angel or you are going to have to wait awhile to get a potters angel. Just from some quick reading (I have never kept one) they are considered expert only and need a well established system to graze on. Tank size recommendations range from 30 to 75 gallons. If you get another angel, it should not be the first fish you add. The rule of thumb is too add the most aggressive fish last as it does not have time to setup a territory. Once they have a territory, they will defend it aggressively against all others. Also, angels are a bit more delicate than clowns and gobies so this will give you time to make sure you can keep those water parameters where they are.

In our 30g we have a flame angel, pair of clowns, shrimp and goby pair, a pair of assesors (for now) and a mandarin (don't get one for a long time if you want one). Very similiar stocking plans and we don't have a problem.

Ok Ill stay away then, thanks. I also read that they love to eat LPS, which will not work at all since I love acans. Ive had a pygmy in my NC for about 2 months now, hes doing well. Loves to ride the flow and scoot through the rockwork. Currently Im feeding mysis and cyclops mixed, rods reef, and NLS pellets (not on the same day) Any suggestions for other foods to incorporate, or other angels that will work well in the bow?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We mainly feed rods reef and PE mysis to our angels. We will toss in a nori sheet every now and again because they do like some greens. We had a pygmy for a while and they are great fish (got sucked into a powerhead after getting stung my an anem, we were pissed). The tricky thing with angels and LPS is one day they might just turn and start nipping. We have our fingers crossed, our flameback and flame have not touched a thing yet.

Yea Ive been lucky as well, no nipping at corals whatsoever. But hes has been eyeing my new black and gold acan frag very often... well see how it goes. Ill have to get a nori sheet for him, I lost a horned blenny bc he ran out of food, wish my LFS has mentioned the algae sheets! Poor guy

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Audi0s said:
Yea Ive been lucky as well, no nipping at corals whatsoever. But hes has been eyeing my new black and gold acan frag very often... well see how it goes. Ill have to get a nori sheet for him, I lost a horned blenny bc he ran out of food, wish my LFS has mentioned the algae sheets! Poor guy
AudiOs

Go to a Asian Market and pickup roasted seaweed. It's the same thing as the LFS sells, but for the money you'll get about 10 times as much.

Bob