• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What is wrong with the plate coral ?

Before I bought this plate from LFS I asked the same question and got strange answer. "That brown line is where the coral is pooping" :eek: . Well I liked the color so I bought it anyway and I'm asking again, because even I'm a newbie I don't believe it :-\

plate.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That line down the middle looks like it is trying to split. Almosst like you could break it in two. My plate likes to be in the sand. It likes good flow, but not crazy/direct flow, andn it likes a good amount of magnesium in the water.

It looks like it has two mouths, in the middle on each side. But how do I split it? Will it grow back to the circle?
Phyl, soon as my new tank will cycle, I will put it on the sand, this small tank is BB with no room anywhere else then on top ;D, taht is why I need to go bigger ::)

malulu

NJRC Member
Eva,

yes, nice color!

i don't think you should split it, in stead, wait for it to split itself.
;-)

if it ever split, and when you want to sell one, i would like to get it from you.

thx

Hi David,
I will wait them, but in the crack it looks like some algae is growing, how should I clean it and also do you know if it will grow to a circle again after it splits?

malulu

NJRC Member
my *guesses* are:

(1)
if it was bought like that, the algae will probably be gone soon due to your tank's better water conditon, or keep it at a little bit flow (not a lots), to keep the water circulated enough to not causing more algae.

(2)
i *think* it will grow back, cause I don't see any one selling a HALF PIZZA PIE plate coral before...
;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It will regrow into a circle and that will happen faster if you split it. I'd either use a tile saw or a chisel.