• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What size pump should I use?????

am putting my sump in my basement and am going to have 10-11 foot of head pressure. I need about 400 gph. I am going to have a couple of elbows involved with the plumbing. What pump would anyone recommend for this set up. I am open to either submersible or external.

i agree with redfishbluefish, list your display tank size, if its reef ready, brand. 400 GPH is low. a MAG 12 will give you about 413 GPH at 11 feet of head and 3 90 degree elbows (according to the head loss calc on reefcentral). if you can't exceed 400 than a Quiet One 4000 High Head will give you about 340 at 11 feet of head and 3 90 degree elbows.

thaniks for the comments/. My tank is 40 gallon breeder that is why I need little flow up there. I have an external overflow on this tank don't know if there is anything better to use. Please any information would be greatly appredciated while I am planning this out.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A 40 seems a little small for a sump in the basement unless you’re looking for that real clean look with nothing underneath.

Why not just drop a sump/refugium immediately below the tank? If you have overflow box issues (and it’s happened twice with me), by the time you get into the basement to shut off the pump, you’ve got a nice little flood. A 20 gallon (or more) sump below the tank is what I would do.

redfishbluefish said:
A 40 seems a little small for a sump in the basement unless you’re looking for that real clean look with nothing underneath.

Why not just drop a sump/refugium immediately below the tank? If you have overflow box issues (and it’s happened twice with me), by the time you get into the basement to shut off the pump, you’ve got a nice little flood. A 20 gallon (or more) sump below the tank is what I would do.

how big is the sump? with only a 40 gallon breeder you could place a huge sump in the basement to increase total system volume, which helps stabilize water parameters.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
cmsurfr22 said:
how big is the sump? with only a 40 gallon breeder you could place a huge sump in the basement to increase total system volume, which helps stabilize water parameters.

If you're looking to maximize volume, I'd throw in a 40g sump/refugium right below the 40g DT.  Similar to what I have...a 46g DT with a 45 g sump.

Or better yet, dump the 40g DT and make that a bigger tank...more volume...with an even larger sump below.

I certainly don't want to dissuade the basement thing...just seems like a lot of work, money and inconvenience for what I see as minimal benefits for a 40g DT.

are you sure you only have 11' of head loss? is the sump in your basement on the floor? try to get the exact vertical head loss you will have give or take a couple inches. there is a big difference in smaller pumps even between 10' and 11'.

the tarpon is a good idea for your system. you could use a manifold like john and phyl designed for their system. off the manifold you could have one line going to the display tank, one going to the fuge, one as an overflow back into the sump and a few extra for future upgrades.