• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What type of fish should I add?

I currently have:
3 assorted damsels (planning on giving away soon)
2 tomato clowns
1 purple firefish
1 chocolate star fish
1 Haitian Pinktip Anemone
1 scooter blenny
2 lawnmower blenny
1 bandit coral shrimp
3 blue leg hermit crabs

so what else would make a nice addition to a 55 gallon tank.

Also buying a bigger tank if anyone is planning on getting rid of one will be willing to buy and pick up for low price please.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
On a more serious note, get the chocolate chip star out of the tank or he will eat your anemone. You can look at a dwarf angel like a flame, coral beauty, flamback or pygmy. You might be able to fit certain reef safe wrasses in there or one of the smaller tang species. You also might want to add more firefish as they do better in groups.

on a more serious note i vote waiting to add livestock as it seems like you just added fish, i would also skip a tang in a 55 gal. personally.

Well the damsels and the clowns been there for 3 months and have done great! The firefish is like 4 days old in there. so maybe i will wait another 2 week until more but i just wanted some suggestions on what to get.

Just beaware that the clowns and damsels are very territorial and may attack any new additions to the tank. So I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a rare fish that may be killed by them.
If you wanted a tang I would recommend the Tomini because it only gets to be about 4" long and will help control the algae growth. Reef safe wrasses are always nice if you have a covered tank since they are known to jump. I wouldn't get any gobies since you already have 3 blennies, which enough bottom dwelling creatures for a 55. A psuedochromis would be able to able to hold it's own against the others and they come in some nice colors and interesting to watch as they dart in and out of the rockwork.

I like the six line also; their colorful, active and inexpensive. Their a little aggressive for a wrasse so if your planning on adding other wrasses I would add them first. But personally I think you might be at the limit of fish you can have in a 55 unless they're going to small.
Another fish I like although they're considered a run of the mill fish is the citron goby. They are a small yellow fish that likes to perch on corals and hang out.

cant have tangs in a 55? Oh oh...I know someone that has 2 in a 55....I won't say who though ;D cant wait to get the 125 up and goin

Well i have a fish update:

Ok i currently have:
2 Damsels (hopefully putting them in a smaller tank until i Set a new one up)
2 Purple Fire fish
2 Tomato Clowns
1 Yellow Tang

And 2 small cleaning fish

I think i will get a dwarf angel of some sort:
And be done with that tank and get a new one =)

And then start the process again,
Any thoughts?