• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

whats it worth?

hello all, Here is my story.. I have a 200g flat back hex FOWLR and a 55g reef. Thanks to njreefgeek Andy i am hooked on reefs now so i am thinking about selling the 200g and getting a 125 or 150 to transfer my reef into. The tank i am thinking about selling has 2 small scratches that you can only see if there is algae on the glass but none the less, if i know about it then so will you. It has a sump, a little giant and a few maxi 1200's, a brand new 36 watt turbo twist uv. The fish that will be going with it are the following.. a 6-7 inch black trigger, a 5-6 inch grey angel, a 5-6 inch orange shoulder tang, a 3-4 inch porcupine puffer and maybe a 3-4 in purple tang(not so sure i will get rid of that one) and some damsels. I will keep the rock and the p.c. light. Can I get some comments on what this is worth? thanks chad
1116081806.jpg

i agree why have the stress of selling it whole which isn't all that often or having to part it out.. just make it into a reef tank. why go down in size?

I gave that some thought but way to busy with work. i work two jobs and i think its way to much for me to handle, wake up at 5:30 am. get home at 4:30 pm. shower, eat, nap, back to work at 9pm till 130am, not crying the blues at all, some people have no work at all right now and i love the $$$ but i still have a lot to learn about reefs and I know i wont have enough time to care for a reef that size.

Get some help in the beginning. There are a lot of maintenance guys who could help you and not charge the arm/leg etc. that's what i did in the beginning till learned enough to survive on my own.

I agree with the converting it to a reef ready . Used tanks do not sell real well and the one you have looks very nice . Your tank is already established so there wont be a cycling issue. Have it drilled or go with overflows, buy a skimmer and you should be set . Lighting upgrade and flow will depend on your stocking plans.
Having a maintenance company help at first is also a good idea but not totally necessary . You are already keeping a great looking tank going so adding corals,lps or sps should be fairly easy for you .I would keep it real simple at first . As your knowledge and confidence grow so can your coral selections. You should be able to keep up with it as you go along . Start with a small fish load and easy to keep corals . A couple of nice islands of rock would look great in that tank .
Post up for sale the non-reef compatible fish and buy some established live rock . There is also the benefit of not having to take down a system this way .

i love my big tank i started with a 180 and upgraded to a 180 3 months later. i think its so much easier with the larger volume of water. i'd keep the tank and just sell the fish you dont want and load it up with some live rock and let it cycle.

You have not told us what equipment you have but I would agree with a lot of the responses. You will take a hit selling used equipment and then have to buy new. You have established sand and rock. I guess the one thing that could really cause you problems which I don't think anyone mentioned is if you used copper that is bad news for inverts. Otherwise you have a great base and no new tank hassles.

Copper in live rock can be removed with carbon. Just takes a long time as you can never be sure how long it will take to leech out.

Agree with everyone here. Big tanks are a lot easier to maintain. Who says you need to fully stock it right away. Go slow as budget allows and you'll have the benefit of greater stability from the large system. Go with hob overflows as you won't have to break down the tank to add them. Just sell the livestock that are not reef safe (trigger, puffer, and angel(maybe that one is reef-safe with caution?)

calaxa said:
Copper in live rock can be removed with carbon.

I thought the only way to remove copper was thru the use of poly fiber and multiple water changes. Even then there is no guarantee if the LR was treated with copper.
Just takes a long time as you can never be sure how long it will take to leech out.

Phil,

Pretty sure all copper is removable by carbon as activated carbon's job is to remove inorganics. I know for sure cupramine is removable via carbon (says it on the bottle actually). Tested it before. Copper exists in the ocean in trace amounts so if one were that paranoid, they should split up LR they buy from anyone who had a FOWLR system. Dilution in case that copper leeches all at once suddenly.

never knew that - but it does make sense...lol. I don't have any experience here since slightly elevated levels of copper = death to inverts in the tank. If I were to use it - I'd only use it in my QT.

The way I see it - there are so many variables in the tank (like having sand that is attracted to magnets...LOL), if I knew a prior owner of my LR had used cupramine - it would make me pause before agreeing to buy the LR.

Anyways - sorry for the hijack chad. I guess you've been so busy working you haven't had a chance to reply and let us know if you are keeping this tank or unloading it for a smaller one.