• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Whatzit...

Ok, I have two questions or "whatzits"

First, Can I get an ID on this snail. I have two of them that came out of one of the rocks I purchased. Below are two pics. (click to make larger)

My second question is this...
All of a sudden, these little white things started appearing on the back of the glass. they look like small white curly cues. I thought that maybe they were baby snails but they almost look like tubes. I must have taken about 30 pics an picked the 2 best ones to post. See below.

Hello Sirfragalot,
The bottom pic shows Spiral tube feather duster (Spirorbids), which are harmless filter feeders, sometimes they have beautiful red crowns.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/invertid29.htm
Page down on the link and you can see a blurry pic there as well. ;)
The top pic is a mullusc, but I'm sure you know that already! ;D It may be an abalone, but that is a guess at best.
Cheers,
Michelle

Thanks. How big do these spiral feather dusters get? I'm also curious as to why all of a sudden, (lost count at 46) popped up?

Found a better pic after you told me what they were.

Pileolariawide.jpg

"This tiny feather duster with a calcareous tube commonly reproduces sexually in aquariums, settling all over the glass, rocks, pipes, and pumps. It is a Pileolaria sp."

They stay pretty tiny, like smaller than a pea. Sometimes you will see a bloom excessive nutrients are present in the system, but they are generally found in varying quantities in most aquariums.

I agree with poconofishy.

They are rather common in aquariums. No harm unless they populate the front glass of your display - then they kinda look ugly...and you've been lazy with the mag float ;)

On the snail - it's hard to tell. Try reading this - best reference I have found from Dr. Ron on identification of snails.

Grazing Snails part I

Marc L also has a site with invert pics - http://www.melevsreef.com/id/snails.html