• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Where to Buy Tunze Pump

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It would appear that the pump on my Tunze 9002 nano skimmer crapped out. I've got it soaking in vinegar right now to see if a cleaning will revive the little beast. If not, I've got to purchase another. Anyone have suggestions on were to pick up this replacement pump. It's a Tunze model 1073.008 pump. Thanks

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the responses. Let me tell you what I’ve found out about the Tunze 9002 skimmer. First off, after I clean it up, I did get it working again. However, I’m still looking into buying a spare….because that’s me.

This skimmer came with two different pumps. If it was manufactured before 2009, it had Model 0800.040 pump. If it was manufactured after 2009, it had the Model 1073.008 pump. I don’t know if there was a difference in the actual skimmers, so that the pumps could be interchanged. One ordering site would suggest not. Anyway, I have the 1073 pump:

272fa2f5-01ac-4906-8bc1-eb3883360a91_zpsc1ef86a8.jpg

So while my skimmer parts were soaking in vinegar, I looked up replacement pumps and impellers, just in case. Every site that sold this pump, including Tunze USA, sold it for 36.23. Obviously price fixed by Tunze….no surprise. But here’s what I found with the impeller. Tunze has a notice specifically in regard to inspecting and trouble shooting this pump/impeller. HERE is that notice, and take note of the number of blades on the impeller.

Well guese what! My impeller has six blades:

c85a1f9c-ea06-4cd3-bc38-0129e2cb9b25_zps91a4a40b.jpg

I even went to the Tunze USA’s website to check on the replacement impeller for this pump, and that impeller only had the three blades.

So I’ve now asked Roger of Tunze….boy that sounds like one of those medievil names…Roger of Tunze….over on RC to tell me what’s up with my impeller. If you’re interested, HERE’s that link.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul, since you said you did buy this skimmer used, it's quite possible that the previous owner had replaced the impeller with the "wrong" one. That seems like the most logical explanation to me.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
George, that definitely is a possibility of having the wrong impeller. That is why I’ve asked Roger of Tunze to clarify. I will state that the impeller I have fits like a glove. But more blades isn’t necessarily better. It could be causing cavitation, just to mention one big word, and cavitation would not be a good thing! I’m awaiting Roger of Tunze’s response to see what he has to say…..he’s the expert….I’m just along for the ride.

I will state that after cleaning this whole skimmer, it’s kicking a$$ right now. .

Thanks for the responses. Let me tell you what I’ve found out about the Tunze 9002 skimmer. First off, after I clean it up, I did get it working again. However, I’m still looking into buying a spare….because that’s me.

Must be us old folks...I have a spare sicce for my skimmer that has never seen any water at all.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul, you bought the skimmer from me. That impeller is the one it came with brand new for sure.

OK... now Tunze really has some explaining to do.

And I know all about cavitation Paul. Well, at least enough to know its not a good thing for a pump.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
And I know all about cavitation Paul. Well, at least enough to know its not a good thing for a pump.

Not to mention submarines that are trying to run silent!

OK... now Tunze really has some explaining to do.

I’m waiting to see what Roger has to say…..Roger of Tunze, that is.

Again, I will tell you (and I’m sure saltkreep88 will verify), that this skimmer (with it’s six blades) kicks a$$.

Now, when I buy this back-up pump, will it perform the same as this “six-blade?”

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Roger of Tunze responded to my request to explain the six blade impeller I have:

The 50Hz impeller has 3 long blades, the 60Hz impeller has 6 short blades. The impeller spins slower at 50Hz so the blades have to be longer to pump the same amount and the number of blades is for balancing at the specific speed, 3000rpm for 50Hz, 3600 for 60Hz.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just to finish up this saga, I noted that the only impeller shown on Tunze USA’s website (for ordering parts) was the three blade impeller. So I had one more question for Roger of Tunze…..How do I order my six blade if I need a replacement? And here is his want Roger of Tunze had to say about that:

“You cannot get the 3 blade one in the US, if you order from the website and live in the US you will get the 6 blade one. Basically, this is automatic based on the country it ships to, you get the right one.”

Just to finish up this saga, I noted that the only impeller shown on Tunze USA’s website (for ordering parts) was the three blade impeller. So I had one more question for Roger of Tunze…..How do I order my six blade if I need a replacement? And here is his want Roger of Tunze had to say about that:

“You cannot get the 3 blade one in the US, if you order from the website and live in the US you will get the 6 blade one. Basically, this is automatic based on the country it ships to, you get the right one.”
Fede's parents are coming from Italy in a few weeks...can you get it there?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Fede's parents are coming from Italy in a few weeks...can you get it there?

James, I believe you misinterpreted what Roger said. What he basically said was that if you live in a country with 50 hertz, you’ll automatically get the three-blade impeller…and if you live in a country that has 60 hertz, you’ll get the six blades. Here in the US we run at 60 hertz, so that if I ordered an impeller from Tunze, I’d get the six blade….the one I have now. If I lived in Italy with Fede’s parents, and I ordered an impeller, I’d get the three-bladed impeller. Capiche!