• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

where to get glass cut???

Lowes cuts glass, I think you buy a sheet & they'll cut it to your measurements. I don't remember the price but it was very inexpensive.

gee thanks Debfife,

got to get some measurements. Maybe I can grab my tank from up north tomorrow, get the glass and work on my refugium while everyone, precocius 4 year old, and wife, are sleep.

edwin

my two year old likes to help! my wife didn't think it was a good idea for her to play with glass and silicone, though. I can't for the life of me figure out why! :D

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I've cut some glass for inserts on my coffee table. It's actually pretty easy. Lowes/HD sell glass cutting kits. It's like oil and something to etch it, and then you tap it and it breaks.

Not sure if that's what you're interested in, though.

Sounds easy, and I know I can do that, but that stuff is SHARP, and I have a precocius 4 year old that Lord knows would be playing with the sump, cut himself and I will have to move to east Jabbip. So, I have to get it bivelled,rounded or whatever it's called. And what about baffles?

revclyburn

why not get some acrylic, you can get some suitable for a sump at homedepot, they sell them in 36x36 inch pieces

I might do that RobNJ,

it would definitely be easier. At this point, I was think of just building my sump/refugium from Arcylic/plexi. I see alot of homemade sumps and some threads that are very informational. If I get everything cut to spec, and the right solvents/glues/etc to keep it together, it probably would work. Has anybody done this before, if so, what do I need? I can use the measurements from a aquarium and get the plex/arcylic cut to those specs. Is that the right way to go?

revclyburn

why not just get a simple aga tank and build the inside with acrylic to your needs. i am sure it would be cost effective

You know how it is, we men need to build stuff, just for the sake of tell others we did it ourselves, we are built that way. I have a 38 gallon I'm working on, I just want to get my hands wet building something out of acrylic. Let me finishe my original plan, and then I'll try the acrylic one.

revclyburn