• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Where to keep acans

Just bought some nice acans and I'm wondering where to put them. Is low-medium flow and low-medium light where they should be? I have them in the lowest flow area of my tank and about 23" from mw 250 reflector, Is that ok? And if I want them to grow fast I have to feed right? But are they ok if you don't feed?

Nickjr000 said:
Just bought some nice acans and I'm wondering where to put them. Is low-medium flow and low-medium light where they should be? I have them in the lowest flow area of my tank and about 23" from mw 250 reflector, Is that ok? And if I want them to grow fast I have to feed right? But are they ok if you don't feed?
I have mine in the sand 21 inches form a 150 and 4 24w t5.
As per the feeding I feed mine 1 or twice a week . but sometimes I go a couple of weeks without feeding

I am using the same light setup as Gonzapa, and mine started out on the sand for acclimation and are now about 15" away directly under my 150 MH in a medium flow area.

I never target feed them, and they are growing, just maybe not as quickly.

Sounds good. Some of the colors on these things are amazing. Suprised they're not more popular. Or are they up and coming? I'd like to target feed but my tank is a pain. Built in the wall so it's tough to do anything. Maybe I'll try once a week

target feeding isn't necessary, but they seem to benefit from a good meal now and then. weekly is fine.
as for placement, acans don't need alot of light. be careful not to scorch them. i have sold acans to folks that put them under alot more light, and they are alive, but not as colorful and not as "fat".
i would put them in moderate flow, not low flow, and definitely on the sand bed. mine are partially shielded from direct light. some are completely shielded from direct light and they are colorful, fat, and happy.

Yeah actually the 2 I have out of direct light look the fattest. They ok in the sand? Will a sand star bother them? Also are they ok if the sand gets kicked up on them here and there?

yeah, acans do not like sand in theyre mouths! i also keep mine on the sandbed, bout 120" from mh, and theyre lovin it! i was gonna move them up since now theyre use to the new lighting, but i decided to make an acan island on the sandbed, since there is so much open space down there...

jerzsky said:
yeah, acans do not like sand in theyre mouths! i also keep mine on the sandbed, bout 120" from mh, and theyre lovin it! i was gonna move them up since now theyre use to the new lighting, but i decided to make an acan island on the sandbed, since there is so much open space down there...

120" from MH ??? :eek: How big is your tank??