• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Where to put corals when introducing new RBTA

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can either make a rack to put them on and hang it on the side of your tank or put them in the sand. With any luck it won't wander too far, but a 6-8" RBTA is going to take up 10-12" of space. I personally wouldn't want to make that sacrifice of space in a tank so small.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Steve,

Even though I'm selling my RBTA, I personally wouldn't recommend putting an RBTA in a tank of your size for 2 reasons. They move until they are settled in and can sting your coral in the process and they can grow/split fairly quickly depending upon conditions and availability of food and will need even more space. Now, if you had an anemone only tank with some clowns, a 55 gallon would be perfect :)

Dan

I agree, not sure if putting a RBTA in a 55 gallon tank is a good idea. I personally never had luck with them as they would wonder around the tank and would eventually get stuck in my power heads.

On the flip side of the coin - the bubble-tip anemone Entacmaea quadricolor is probably the one anemone that walks around the least. In addition you can just temporarily place sponges around your powerheads (if you have any) until the anemone settles in.

I think Phyl's idea of racking the corals is a good one. Or maybe temporarily placing them in a quarantine tank. It's not unknown for the reefs to have a few cloudy days - just be careful when you re-introduce them back into the display as you don't want to light shock them.

Sorry for the hijack but I have a simillar question.

What if it's the first BTA with no other corals present? I too was looking to get one for my clown and also have a 55. But my 55 also isnt packed with rock.

It's easier without corals for sure. However the water quality has to be up to par and hopefully the tank is somewhat mature (this applies to stevereef also).

One thing to keep in mind is that they can get easily shredded by a powerhead - like your maxijet 1200.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
SirFragalot said:
Do you think if I glued/attached some screen material to the outflow of the MJ, that this could be avoided?

It's not the outflow you want to screen but the intake (bottom) of the powerhead that sucks in the anemone.

Bob

thanks bob - yes - you'll want to place a piece of sponge or something to diffuse the intake.

Once the anemone settles in and you are providing it adequate light and supplemental food - then you can remove the sponge(s).

Think about it - sponges cost like $5 or something - just to protect a $50 or more investment. Btw - I'm not talking the sponge used in a kitchen - think filters. :)