• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which dwarf angel?

Hey guys, I have been thinking about adding a small-dwarf angel to my current setup, a 24 NC DX with a pair of clowns and a sixline, some shrimp, CUC, and tons of zoas, xenias, shrooms and softies.

Questions would be, will it nip at my coral or bother my other fish and has anyone ever had experience with them? I like the flameback, false lemonpeel, bicolor, and black nox, so those would be the options. Let me know, thanks

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have a flameback in a 20g tall tank right now. He does not pick at the corals and is a very active little guy. They can also be aggressive, which might not be that bad of a thing considering the tankmates it will have. We found a small one which was perfect for the tank size, I would try and do the same.

Lemonpeels are know to pick at corals pretty consistently, bicolors can be tough to keep (has more to do with collection and importation), don't really know anything about the nox but have seen some pretty big ones.

Ive got a pygmy angel in my 24 NC. He was awesome for about 6 months, now he destroys all my zoas, acans, and war coral. Im lucky I can move most to my other tank, but I didnt plan on having them all in there! And of course, he wont eat the zoos Im not fond of. From what Ive heard they need to have some greens in their diet, Im going to try seaweed sheets soon. But Id be very careful with them. If and once he starts going after frogspawn or duncans, there might be a problem!

Flame is the best one you listed, Atlantic pygmy is safest overall I think.

They are very interesting fish. I would argue they get a bad rap for their occasional picking. Any fish outside of cleaner gobbies might turn into a problem.