• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which is the better skimmer?

Hey all! Another newbie question...
I recently picked up a 54 gallon corner tank. I have 2 skimmers on hand... remora pro and coralife super skimmer 65. Which one would be best for this setup?? Or should I just sell both of them and pick up a better skimmer? If so, what would you suggest?

drandrew31 said:
I recently picked up a 54 gallon corner tank. I have 2 skimmers on hand... remora pro and coralife super skimmer 65. Which one would be best for this setup?? Or should I just sell both of them and pick up a better skimmer? If so, what would you suggest?

sell both of them and pick up a better skimmer

drandrew31 said:

will this skimmer be in-sump? if so, how much room will you have to work with?

I'm using an amiracle sump and the skimmer would be in the sump. If I were to get rid of the skimmers, what would you recommend?

Chris, depending on the pump on the remora 54g is near the higher end of it's true usefulness iirc.

Andrew, the ASMs are a fine line of skimmers.

It depends. If your tank will be heavily stocked ( Like most peoples tanks including mine ), go for somethin that's rated for at least 150 gallons. Check out deltecs or somethin with a great rep. I think with a skimmer you get what you pay for

thanks for all your help. i think i'm going to sell the 2 skimmers and pick up an asm g1 or deltec mc500. i've been down the road of "buying cheap" only to have it bite you in the butt later... thanks again!

buying cheap doesn't always mean your getting a bad product.  ie:  bubble magus nac 6a or 7  price range160-200

i personally got a sump buddy 40 and has GREAT reviews.  i haven't finished my build but while i was testing it showed great bubble formation and looked VERY promising. bought it for 150

you can find great products through the lower end.  but if you want to pay for something like a deltec etc. then happy for you! ;D

MY 500 POST! wo0t for 5 star rating!

i have the corallife superskimmer 220 for my 120 half circle, i want happy with it till i chucked the pump that comes with the skimmer in the garbage and upgraded to the mag 9.5 pinwheel, now the skim is amazing!

I picked up a brand new deltec mc500 off ebay for $175 today!! thanks for all your help... It is much appreciated. Congrats on your 500th post evoIX!!

Patriot76 said:
drandrew31 said:

sell both of them and pick up a better skimmer
outstanding advice!
both are sub-par.

Both those skimmers could be , OK, with a few mods. But, you should be very happy with the MC500, that's a real good price too.