• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which Reactors to Run

horseplay

NJRC Member
If you run biopellets, do you still need to run GFO and Carbon? If you setting up a new tank which would you install/run first or both?

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
IMO, I would run (in order of importance)
GFO - new rock and sand will often leach phospate in the water, GFO would get rid of that asap
Carbon - will polish the water ad remove any possible orders - always helpful

BIopellets - I would personally wait on pellets until your tank matures and you near your expected bioload (livestock). At that point u can turn on biopellets.
--- i defer to the experts on the forum when it comes to the best time to run pellets...

If you run biopellets, do you still need to run GFO and Carbon? If you setting up a new tank which would you install/run first or both?

I run all three. I wouldn't run the GFO while the pellets are colonizing. After your pellets are fully up to speed, check your PO4(Hanna), and use the GFO if it's too high.
How old is your tank?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jon Warner (of Warner Marine and maker of EcoBak biopellets) gave an interesting and concise talk at this year’s swap. He said that the bacteria consume equal portions of nitrate, phosphate and carbon……a one for one for one. If one of the components isn’t there, it doesn’t work. That is why it is suggested that you take GFO off line at first. If after seeding and running biopellets your phosphates are still high (while nitrates are zero), you put GFO back on line to consume this excess phosphate. His comment was that the excess phosphates are likely coming from rock, water source or excess feeding.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Looks like I will setup them both. I am adding equipment to the tank. I will build a manifold for the return to have 3 additional outlets. One for GFO/Carbon, One for biopellets and one for maybe UV or anything else.